Chrome "Egg crate"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Wanted to get somemore "eggcrate" material for my tank at Home Depot. They ran out of the regular stuff. All they had was the chromed eggcrate. Would this be tank safe?? The chrome looks like and feels like plastic.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yeah, I'd avoid the chrome "plated" plastic. I could see it chipping/peeling in a tank environment.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
That's it, they are out of the ordinary ones. I will not buiy it then, will wait for next shippment. Thanks Duckie and Freshy.

Reactions: Duckie

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It's OK, my husband found some at another Home Depot. I have lots of uses for it. Cut to size, make nice top-- keep "jumpers" in and let light into my tanks (my tanks have no tops). Makes a nice base if you have "diggers". But....
One of my Husbands firends have an Oscar that likes to "attack" the heater. I was going to build a "heater-Protect" with it.

Lots of uses.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Those egg-crate lighting diffuser grids are great to put under substrate is you've got a lot of big stacked rocks in your tank. If a rock tips and falls, it would be very unlikely to blow out the bottom of your tank if you've got the plastic egg crate grid under there.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
:) and to keep a distant gravel depth over an RUGF in a digger tank....

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Those egg-crate lighting diffuser grids are great to put under substrate is you've got a lot of big stacked rocks in your tank. If a rock tips and falls, it would be very unlikely to blow out the bottom of your tank if you've got the plastic egg crate grid under there.
And it also distributes the weight of the rocks, so not just resting on one point or area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store