Classic Aquarium Equipment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
The Vortex Innerspace Diatom Filters are still basically the same. Plastic jar now instead of the glass one mine has. I sure do miss the old Dynaflow filters. Had a model that was self priming too boot. But they were power hogs compared to today's stuff.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I can't believe they are still around! I thought they went out of business years ago. I used to love my XL.

I still have two buckets of System 1 diatom powder in my basement. I use it sporadically with my Tetra Diatomagic filter.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I liked mine too. Only problem I had was the door kept breaking.

Local store was clearancing out the bags. Picked up 3 so I can keep it going as long as possible.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thinking back, the old DynaFlows had no means for biological filtration IIRC. I only recall the floss cartridge that slid-in at an angle before the outlet.

Back in those days, I ran an UGF and the dynaflow on my 20L. Knew nothing about a proper nitrogen cycle or water changes either. Ugh..

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Thinking back, the old DynaFlows had no means for biological filtration IIRC. I only recall the floss cartridge that slid-in at an angle before the outlet.

Back in those days, I ran an UGF and the dynaflow on my 20L. Knew nothing about a proper nitrogen cycle or water changes either. Ugh..
The cartridges were a later addition. I believe you were supposed to pack the filter with floss and carbon, when it first came out. That would allow you to pack some biological media in the mix and reuse it.

BallAquatics

Fish Breeder
Oct 9, 2010
Central Ohio, USA
www.ballaquatics.com
Real Name
Dennis Ball
My first Dynaflo was just an empty chamber and you could fill it with whatever you wanted.

Dennis

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
My first Dynaflo was just an empty chamber and you could fill it with whatever you wanted.

Dennis
Cool pic! That looks like an early one for sure. Mine had the fake woodgrain top if I remember, and the filter cartridge slid-in diagonally, just before the outflow, leaving a ton of open space towards the impeller side. Well, wasted space for me, because I didn't know any better at the time.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
This was my first filter (or one just like it) in a 10 gallon metaframe with a slate bottom. The whole filter was clear plastic back then (1968) and I put floss and charcoal in it.

Mark

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store