Closer to wild?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
I bought six kribensis I suppose five months ago from Florida. I got one extra- I ended up with two males. One grew a little every day,..the other is just now maturing. My question is this- These fish have almost no purple on them, and males have no spots on tail. Tail color is orange and just a little yellow. They were sold as F-1.. very shy- Is this non-purple a result of being F-1?:thud:

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I have noticed among my kribs that they pale out to complete lack of coloration when they are unhappy or stressed or afraid. If yours are very shy, that could be impacting their coloration. I have read that having a school of active fish really helps the kribs be more active and comfortable.

Also, like verbal hinted at, there are quite a few species of kribs and some dont have very strong coloration, especially the males, when compared to pelvicachromis pulcher.

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Trying to get comfortable

I have noticed among my kribs that they pale out to complete lack of coloration when they are unhappy or stressed or afraid. If yours are very shy, that could be impacting their coloration. I have read that having a school of active fish really helps the kribs be more active and comfortable.

Also, like verbal hinted at, there are quite a few species of kribs and some dont have very strong coloration, especially the males, when compared to pelvicachromis pulcher.
Yes, they are p. Pulcher.. Their body shape and finnage is just right. Stressed.. timid, afraid,unhappy-yes, not sure why. Kinda long story.. As babies they were in a10 gallon tank while 55cycled. Went to 55 all together tho one pair likely forming. They seemed to like it tho filter a little strong. After a month or so the "dominate pair" lost patience with the others. Especially the number one and number two females. So four smaller females and smaller male had to live together in a29. I would say #2male and female may be close to pairing. Another major stress they went thru was food. I messed up and got them addicted to bloodworms. From six weeks to almost three months I fed them a flake, pellet mixture, but it got water foul quickly. Then a month maybe of worms. Tried to wean off.. I feed mostly bloodworms and frozen brine. A couple times a week I withhold and give NLS "Grow", Cichlid flake, pellets. They dive on frozen and the other seems to disappear while I'm gone. But I did just buy two 33 gallon long tanks to further separate. Main pair in 55 by selves until "new" tanks ready. They are shy too, think they ate first spawn, they don't show when I'm around. Gonna put in more ground cover for them. Oh, as far as ditherfish, I thought I'd put a few neons in with them. They nearly killed the first one in in two seconds. I have four white mountain minnows, four red serpae tetra, and eight blackskirt tetras to combine, or what do you advise for dithers?

Last edited:

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Did you add the dithers? The larger fish you mentioned - Serpaes, Blackskirts , etc. are certainly better that neons or white clouds

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
I had not add them.But I need their tank for some angelfish I'm raising..I'm glad you said that. I have asingle pair of kribs in a 55 gallon by themselves and five others in a 29. I know that's not right, but haven't found homes for them yet. Would you like four or five kribs that are about ten months old? Free if you'll split shipping!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I had not add them.But I need their tank for some angelfish I'm raising..I'm glad you said that. I have asingle pair of kribs in a 55 gallon by themselves and five others in a 29. I know that's not right, but haven't found homes for them yet. Would you like four or five kribs that are about ten months old? Free if you'll split shipping!
Offer for anyone? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Offer for anyone? Lol Yes, anyone and everyone.. I love kribs, but I've run myself out of tank room. You would be doing yourself good..I have three females and two males extra. You are welcome to them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yes, anyone and everyone. I love kribs, but I've run myself out of tankspace. I have two males and three females extra needing homes. You are welcome to them

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Id take them but im not sure how they would fare in my 110g community tank. I too have a very aggressive pair of kribs all alone in a tank that keeps spawning ugh lol I wish there was a way to neuter fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store