Clownfish breeding in tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
what kind of plankton? I'm pretty sure you feed phytoplanton to rotifers then feed the rotifers to the fry.

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
Just hatched my first set of eggs.. Only about 14 the first morning were alive and the second day only about 4... Have a 10 gal tank with sponge filter, lite sand on bottom and the bubble coral they were laid on.. plus the mom and dad... Fed them plankton and they seemed to eat it , but I must be doing something wrong.... HELP.....
The parents will most likely eat the fry (babies) before they ever have a chance to grow. Another reason to not keep the fry with the parents, especially in a small system is they will quickly foul the water. I'm guessing if you only have 14 alive after 1 day the parents ate most of them. A typical hatch should be between 200 and 500, or more.

I don't know what you mean by plankton, I assume your talking about some sort of coral food like Kents Phytoplankton, or whatever it's called? I've never heard of or read about anyone using a non-rotifer based diet for clownfish fry. Thats not to say it won't work, but if no one is doing it there is probably a reason.

Fear not though, if the parents are breeding regularly you will have plenty of chances to try again. Pick of the book 'Clownfishes', I linked it in this thread several posts back. You can learn everything there is to know about raising clownfish from that book, if your interested in trying it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store