Cookie Cutter Stocking Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nterry

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
Hi,

I am looking at several stocking plans for a 20 gallon long:

Option 1:
2 compressips
2-4 caudopunctatus
2-4 multis or simlis shelldweller

Option 2:
2 julichromis transcriptus
2 occelatus or brevis
6 dwarf rainbows

How would these two options work? Am I pushing stocking limits? If option 1 is too full, the compressips would go and I would want something else, maybe for the upper part of the tank. If option 2 is too full, then perhaps something else could go at the top of the tank.

Thanks,

nterry

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Hi nterry, my personal belief is that the cookie cutters are a bit much when it comes to the smaller tank sizes. For example, in the past I found that a 55 gallon was barely enough floor space to keep a full blown multi colony and a J. transcriptus pair (and broad at times) at bay with each other. Nothing escalated, but it was dicey at times.

With many Tangs, you really have to keep in mind two things: 1) most species prefer a lot of floor space and don't care much about the tanks "height" (especially with shell dwellers), and 2) A lot of these species will breed readily.

I think the second option might be the best if you are diligent at removing fry/juveniles when things get cramped. Make sure to provide a good-sized rock pile on one side of the tank for the Julies, and put the shells on the other end. My experience/knowledge on N. occelatus and brevis is limited, but if I'm remembering correctly they are pair-forming (as opposed to colony forming like N. multifasciatus) anyways, so a single pair is fine.

I've never tried any top-dwellers with Tangs, but supposedly dwarf rainbows are an ok fit for smaller tanks. I personally wouldn't want to limit them to a 20 long, but it could work. Livebearers are another group commonly recommended (mostly because of water chemistry compatibility) but that adds more concerns with removing fry.

Hope that helps! I've been out of the Tang game for a while so I'm not completely up to speed, but unfortunately I don't think a lot of the other AC members who are Tang experts have been around lately...

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
I definitely wouldn't keep the Transcriptus in a 20 long. In that size, I'd be inclined to just do a larger colony of one of the shell dwellers you mentioned. Maybe 7-8 individuals and let them do their colonizing. If you really want the julies and shellies together, a 33 long would be a better choice. Same height and width as a 20 long, just 4' long.

nterry

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
So it looks like the advice is shellies + top dweller for one tank.

What about option #1? Or could I keep caudopunks with shellies?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store