Cory Peeling? What the heck?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WaterBaby

Senior Member with Senior Moments
Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
I have a Cory in my tank that is peeling. I have had it for about 1 year. It has been peeling like this for about 2 months now. None of my other fish including my other cories seem to have this problem, just this one. Other than peeling, it seems fine. It eats,and does not seem lethargic. It does flash occasionally. I do not know what to think. I would take it out and medicate but I don't know what to medicate it with. Any help would be appreciated.

90 gallon tank, 74 degrees, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20ppm nitrates, 6.2 pH (has always been low, but constant) Flourite substrate, live plants. Weekly to bi weekly water changes (about 20 gallons) large canister filter.
2 Angels, 3 Rasbora Scissortails, 4 Corey's, 4 serape tetras and 1 black neon tetra image.png

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Do you have a second tank you can isolate him in? That looks like some sort of infection to me. . . I'd worry about it spreading

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
Yes, I do have a small 10 gallon that u use for a q tank, but what do I do once he's in it? Do I medicate, and what with? I guess that's my main question. It has been 2 months and none of my other fish are showing any signs of contracting whatever he has.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I would start with salt dips. Don't dose the whole tank with salt but dip him in a bath once a day and see how he looks in a few days. If he's not starting to improve then go from there.

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
Thank you! Have never done a salt dip on one of my fish but will look it up and try it!!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Odd one for sure. I'm surprised your nitrates even get to 20ppm with that low a bio load, combined with your WC schedule on a 90g tank. That's not many fish for 90gal.

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
Odd one for sure. I'm surprised your nitrates even get to 20ppm with that low a bio load, combined with your WC schedule on a 90g tank. That's not many fish for 90gal.
Ha! Just took nitrates test with a friends test kit..... They r only 5.0 with hers..... Old kit on my part I am thinking..... Used all her api tests and the rest are ok.... Just not the nitrates...

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Salt dips are pretty simple. I really like them as the first try, they're mild and don't cause too much stress but can work well to heal a lot of things if caught early

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Hmmm, never seen this before. Strange. Well, I think that it might just be one of those mysteries. Medication? Methylene Blue. Works very well. My advice is to put the Cory in Quarantine and try methylene blue and leave him in there for 1 day max.change the water. Reduce how much you put in gradually. You could also do the salt dips, but methylene blue dips work too.

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
Just wanted to update my Corys condition. He/She seems to be doing fine. Tried the salt bath and the peeling got better. Improved gradually since then until no sign of irritation or peeling. Thanks for the advice all... I love cories!! So much fun to watch !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store