Cycling issues.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
55 Gallon aquarium was cycled, took 3 months to do so with fishless and using used media from other aquarium, in that time 2 mollies were added towards the end uf cycle. I then waited 2 weeks before addidng 3 emarld cory cats, 1 Siamese algae eater, 3 nitrate snails. All went well then I done my weekly 25%(15 gallons) water change, now it's 2 days later and it is now cy ling all over again. Understanding I have lost my bio media but being it was the regular routine and nothing has changed at all why is it cycling again? Also if I were to do like 2 gallon water change daily instead of the 15 gallons weekly would that help my fish go threw the cycle easier? I have just done another 15 Gallon water change and my fish are doing way better. So any advice will help. I have never had this issue but I never done fishless cycle I've always used the fish cycling by adding 1 or 2 small fish per 2 weeks untill cycled and never lost any fish.

Reactions: Wild West

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
With fishless cycling you grow enough beneficial bacteria to pretty much fully stock your tank all at 1 time. By waiting 2 weeks to add fish, you may have had a set back but it shouldn't mean a full recycle, BB can become "dormant" without "food". Unless I misunderstand, did you dose ammonia & use established filter media or what? What are test results?

You may have to do larger WCs more often, 15% isn't enough weekly for most of us to keep nitrate 10-20ppm. I do between 30 & 50% weekly (ok, maybe 10 days, lol) in well planted, lightly stocked tanks. The only real way to tell is to test! You can also use Prime to temporarily "bind" ammonia & nitrite for 24-maybe 48 hours but WCs are best!

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
I do 25% wc sorry if I counfused you but 25% of 55 gallons is around 13.4 gallons I do 15 gallons weekly. I had both my hob filters running on my other aquarium for almost a month while waiting for everything else that was orders for this aquarium before I put them on the 55 Gallon, I did not put ammonia I only added small amounts of flake food daily and from testing it went threw a cycle, nitrates 30, nitrite 4.0 that's before I done another 15 Gallon water change and it dropped back down to nitrates 5, nitrite .5, everything has been great untill earlier I noticed one of the cories acting funny so I did a test. All the fish has been in there for almost 3 weeks now so I'm confused to why all the sudden it wants to cycle after so long of everything as is for so long.

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
Frustrating part of all this is that this would be the first time I've ever had a actually planted aquarium, first time ever startings any aquarium the proper way. I've never used tests, proper substrate or lighting for plants, trying the cycling before adding anything and I have had more issues doing it the proper way then I've ever had going by my gut instincts and what I've been taught to watch for. My other aquarium is a 20 Gallon Long Tank with a black convict and a 3 inch channel catfish(soon to go in pond after healing up) and no tests just weekly water changes and never ever a problem with it.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Invest in a API master test kit if you don't have 1 & USE it, you need to know what exactly is going in this tank, this time. Or if that's not an option right now, do a 30% WC every other day or at least 8 inches down the side of a 55g, that's how I judge. You only had "maybe" 25% of the BB of 2 fish in your 20g & although I have done fish food thing, without measuring you don't really know what happening or how much water to change to keep your animals safe & happy. I know it's a PITA but 2g isn't helping much at all, go BIG, often. 4 nitrite is damaging you fish! Use Prime to help but, like I said it only helps for at MOST 48 hours if you dose for at least 50g (a capful!).

Not to sound snotty, but are all of you snails still alive? A biggish dead animal can play havoc with your tank params...

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
Yes all my snails are alive, having them for a few yrs now. Nothing has died besides 4 ghost shrimp and all has been removed, can't keep ghost shrimp never have been able to, and 1 Cory but all others seem to be good though, so 30% wc every other day is basically all I can do to help as of now? I do not have prime I do have terra easy test strips which I've been told a lot that they suck and I honestly have no idea when I will be able to get a master test kit. Closest pet store from me is nearly 2 hrs away so I don't know when I'll be able to get anything unless some how I can majically convience my ole lady(the boss) to order it

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
How many plants do you have, what kinds? They can help a bit but are not your answer, BIG frequent WCs are...like I said, anything over .25 of either ammonia or worse, nitrite is harming your fish. Most any lfs carries Prime, please get some, tomorrow! Strips are not awful IMO but not as accurate as API liquid test. (a $$ saver, you can cut them vertically & still see test results).

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
6 dwarf sags and losts of little ones poping up everywhere and dwarf hairgrass but only a small patch of it. I have a pothos vine with its roots in the water and rest of it out of the water, what exactly is prime? Any other names for it or something I've never heard of it

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I am not sure if you are really going through a full cycle. Maybe just a mini. My best quess is that during you WC you did not "condition" the water. Prime is a Chloramine, Chlorine remove to make water safe. The un-conditioned water maybe killing your Bio Bacteria.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store