did i get jipped on my electric blue JD? pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Jan 24, 2002
Louisville, KY
Now I have to wonder if there is a double meaning in somethingsphishy.com's name or if its just ironic. :)

joplum1

Registered Member
Jan 4, 2006
That's strange because I was sold a "neon blue jack" and he looks nothing like yours. I know that colors vary but I've attached pics of mine who is more white with brown and black spots versus the darker colors. It's still a juvenile and about 8 months old.

12-16-05_18.jpg

mightyBetta

AC Members
Dec 26, 2005
Flowerhorn916 said:
Usally a good electric blue is around 40+ next time just ask the lfs to order some and you can pick out the best ones they never had a problem doing it for me. I have 3 right now I have had for mabey 4 months and they are around 2.5-3" my ? is do they grow as big as a reg jd?
to answer your jd growth question, Yes they do grow to the same size as a regular jd. My friend has1 and it's about 6 in. and the color is real intense. I last saw it less than a week ago, and it was as blue as an electric blue hap. When I saw it before that, which was about 8 months ago it was about half an in. smaller and it wasn't as blue. I guess they grow real slow. They do best in a community tank, which his is in right now.

mrdempsey

AC Members
May 20, 2009
I think this fish is an EBJD, it does appear to carry the recessive gene. What has started to happen I have noticed is that there are different degrees of how blue these fish are. They are now being breed by many people and the original perfect blue has been compromised. On the bright side these fish are usually stronger and closer to regular Dempsey's, so they live longer and are more aggressive. The crooked mouth is not a good thing. Red parrot cichlid do alright with a crooked mouth. I would not buy fish through the mail. You never know what you will get. I DO RECOMMEND ordering from Jeff Rapps, Tangled up in cichlids online otherwise pick one out at your favorite store, it is worth the extra money. mrdemsey

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Wow from 2005 lol but still same applies its better to just bite the bullet and buy from a well known source like Jeff Rapps.

Babydoll29

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2009
i dunno but i think i got ripped off when i purchased my electric blue jack dempsey online. i wrote about his horror story in my other post, but hes doing ok and very vigorous. he does have a semi deformed mouth though, its off on one side, almost like the way a stroke victim would look like. he eats well but he needs very tiny pieces.
i attached some pics, and what do you guys think? he doesnt look like an electric blue does he? did they send me a regular JD? he does have a slight more color than a reg JD but he is no way "electric"
hes very small only about an inch
so whatta ya think?
When I first got my baby EBJD's they looked just like that, and it almost looks like a female, they tend to be duller and browner when they are smaller, hope that helps, I think it IS an EBJD!!;)

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
Haha, dug up from the grave after 3 years...and then again 7 months later.

On this actual topic though, not that it probably matters, but an EBJD is not a fish I would buy online (that is if I bought one at all). There is so much inbreeding involved in creating them that at LEAST 50% of the ones I've seen for sale in person have missing parts of/whole fins, deformed mouths, deformed eyes, shortened bodies, etc. If I was in the market for one, I'd hold out to find a really nice one and see it in person before I paid a cent for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store