Discus breeders in and around Virginia?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

yss

AC Members
Jan 2, 2012
Northern VA
Real Name
Yun
I will not be 'spoiling' or doing stupid water changes all the time. I know they are hardier than their wild relatives and don't need to be assisted in every way.
If this is what you are planning on doing, you will NOT be successful keeping discus whether you get your discus from an LFS, a breeder, or from Amazon. Actually, wild discus are just as hardy if not hardier than the domestic ones. I currently keep a tankful of wild discus. You need to understand the need of the fish if you want the fish to be healthy and thrive under your care.

Agree with reptileguy that there is nothing wrong with buying healthy and well cared for discus from LFS. Some do get their discus from a reputable source such as Discus Hans and take good care of them. Scales in MD was one of them, but they are no longer in business.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
That is not true. I have talked to breeders who do rational water changes, 50% weekly. We did this at the shop I ran and like I said they were thriving, even breeding in the sales tank.

I think they need large weekly water changes (at least 50%). Any more and you are allowing fish that would not have otherwise thrived to do so and promoting exactly what I am talking about.

Any fish requires high quality food. Other fish may be hardier and may not show the signs of poor nutrition as soon as others, but all fish should get a high quality diet. I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum exclusively.

My whole point here has been that the ones at a local shop do not require as extreme care as ones from breeders. If someone is not wanting to do a 50% water change every other day then the ones from the breeder that require this are not the best option for them.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
*facepalm* i have had friends that bred discus........ wouldnt say breeders but he did sell quite a few to LFS, hes done 3x if not more water change a week.. and had great looking fish! same with his angels.... infact he also had a drip system that does automatic water changes everyday, at what gallons a day, beats me... but yes they need better care then what your saying reptileguy2727......

yss

AC Members
Jan 2, 2012
Northern VA
Real Name
Yun
If you have a pair of discus in a 55G, yes, you can do 50% water change a week and be fine (although some may argue that this is not enough). But if you have 6 full grown discus in a 55G, you will need to do more water changes. Discus to require more care than most other freshwater fish out there. This is a fact.

My whole point here has been that the ones at a local shop do not require as extreme care as ones from breeders. If someone is not wanting to do a 50% water change every other day then the ones from the breeder that require this are not the best option for them.
And this point is completely false. Where do you think the "good" LFS you are referring to get their discus from? Breeders!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
If you don't want to buy expensive discus and don't want to "spoil" them, starting with cheap (aka low quality) discus and giving them only the very minimum they require in terms of husbandry is probably the most surefire recipe for failure I can imagine.

DiscusOnly

AC Members
May 10, 2009
reptileguy: Do a little research and learn how "breeders" in Asia fish farm house and raise their discus. It's a known fact that discus require clean water and healthy diet. A single source of food is not a healthy diet. Only way to have clean water is water change. The amount and frequency is debatable based on stocking.

Those "breeders" you are talking to is probably the same "breeder" that you are not successful with their discus based on your earlier post. Please stop posting what you are told and read.. give us some examples of your actual experiences.. pictures of your discus.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
all in all i think discus arent going to work for you, a 45 ( which i think you mentioned in the begining of the thread ) is to small for discus really anyways, now if its a proven pair and you do 3x plus water change and feed great quility food/pellets then it may work.. but reading what your posting, i dont think this is the right fish for you.

DiscusOnly

AC Members
May 10, 2009
reptileguy: Do a little research and learn how "breeders" in Asia fish farm house and raise their discus. It's a known fact that discus require clean water and healthy diet. A single source of food is not a healthy diet. Only way to have clean water is water change. The amount and frequency is debatable based on stocking.

Those "breeders" you are talking to is probably the same "breeder" that you are not successful with their discus based on your earlier post. Please stop posting what you are told and read.. give us some examples of your actual experiences.. pictures of your discus.
Oops.. nevermind.. found some pictures of the discus...no surprises at all.. just as expected..

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Ok, I am done with this thread. Everyone is fighting with everyone else and it's rude and unnecessary. All fish should have daily water changes, Discus is no different. But that's life. Thanks but I'm done with this thread.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Ok, I am done with this thread. Everyone is fighting with everyone else and it's rude and unnecessary. All fish should have daily water changes, Discus is no different. But that's life. Thanks but I'm done with this thread.
Go ahead, start it and then walk away! This is all your fault you know......

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store