Discus breeders in and around Virginia?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TNTDiscus

AC Members
Jan 3, 2012
yes your areas may be like that, everyones area is differnt.... my store is one that takes care of there fish, and there discus in tip top condition.. no sickness or anything. longest i would say has been there is maybe a month and still looked in excellent condition.... you cannot put down all LFS just cause yours are like that... that irritates me, one putting down all cause his is not in good shape.... mine is in great shape. and takes great care of all there fish....
I believe you keep missing the "most" lfs I have not said all. Even my last 2 sentences states there are some that do take care of them. But yes they are few and far between sadly. I did not mean to sound like I was putting down every single one of them that was not my intention. But I did not say all I said most which is the sad truth. And really my lfs very rarely keeps discus because he sets up seperate tanks for them to be cared for so I wasn't even talking about my lfs.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
we tried to give you the best advice we can, and discus are differnt... they require more care then any other fish really.. their more touchy and sensitive...

TNTDiscus

AC Members
Jan 3, 2012
And I apologise to the op about how this thread went downhill fast. But like many animals certain people believe they have to defend them and give them the best care possible. Alot of times it brings out the worst in us defending something we care about.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
i say if you believe you can do it, by all means go for it. i have raised fish for 12 years and still wont touch discus, i am not ready, and i have been doing research for 10 years, ( the 2 years were my mistake years ) so i dont consider myself ready for discus, heck i dont think ill ever keep them, all african cichlids here LOL

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
We can see the end result here of what passionate discus keepers feel.

I personally have dealt with low end quality discus..and in my case, these are the Discus that are found in the LFS in my area...none of the Box stores keep them any longer and a few of the smaller LFS have discus I would NOT purchase for my tanks.
That said I ws able to find a hobby breeder that had nice locl fish and at a resonable price..while these would not be what high end breeders would keep.. they were priced so that I could delv into discus keeping at an affordable price. even at $15- $20 per fishthis was affordable..especially for discus.

keep in mind that young discus = many feedings = many water changes.. which can be reduced to a single large water change weekely when the discus rech maturity.
Discus are foragers.. with large bodies and small digestive systems..

personally, I feel the objective is to try and get the best information to the OP.
If you want to keep Discus.. then calculate 10-15 gallons per adult discus, keeping in mind the final objective of keeping adult Discus.
Best to keep 5-6 as minimum count in the tank unless you have a breeding pair.
most times you will purchase Juveniles.. which should get the best care including multiple feedings , warm and clean water.
bare bottom tanks are the best way for juveniles. while you do not need to keep discus in similar situations as many breeders.. it is best to keep the water clean as possible.remember food=waste=water changes.. even tho Discus , over time, have adapted to home aquaria.. they do thrive in clean water..usually acidic water.

the arguement here. relates to some personal observations.. many of the Discus Keepers are quite proud to keep these 'showpiece' Discus..which IME are usually the healthy ones..I'm not saying your local LFS does not have good discus.. I can only speak of the LFS in my area..and repeat..in my case it is best to look to trusted sources (aka breeders) and not the LFS.
I Keep both Discus and wild Angel fish..IME these fish require more care than many of the standard fish available to aquaria..and this is why it is highly suggested that 'Experienced' fish keepers should attempt these species.

To the OP.. I commend you for inquiring and suggest you read these threads with a grain of salt.

if you feel the need for more information without the bantering.. I know I for one would be happy to dicuss off line.

;)
enjoy..and don't be afraid to attemp Discus..they are worth any extra effort you put into them. :)

Last edited:

TNTDiscus

AC Members
Jan 3, 2012
There are alot of importers now that are bringing in very nice quality discus that are not much higher than you paid from your hobby breeder. You can get very nice discus for $28-35. In fact the cobalt in my avatar cost me $35. Granted you do have to pay for shipping which can be a hit, but if your lucky you can find a breeder or importer close.
But yes small discus means alot more work. And larger nice discus can cost alot more. But if you ask around at your local fish clubs you may find someone who is trying to downsize and be able to get the larger fish that do require less maintenace. Adults do not require the massive water changes that juvies do. But yet they should not get neglected.
On a side note...Star_Rider very pretty kitty. I haven't seen that pretty of a tan and white in a long time. And those big blue eyes. Siamese/calico cross? :)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
actually he's a blue bi color ragdoll..his fur is actully a bluish grey..the pic in the avatar does not do him justice in terms of color..and when you look in his eyes close up.. you can see they are like pools of blue..he's my bud..ragdolls are very affectionate cats..I have 4 of them

TNTDiscus

AC Members
Jan 3, 2012
actually he's a blue bi color ragdoll..his fur is actully a bluish grey..the pic in the avatar does not do him justice in terms of color..and when you look in his eyes close up.. you can see they are like pools of blue..he's my bud..ragdolls are very affectionate cats..I have 4 of them
So very adorable. :) I have heard of ragdolls being really nice cats but I have never had the pleasure of owning one.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
IME, very nice ca to have..the males get big tho I've seen males get to 35#'s
Yuki, in the picture) is young he's 2 and is about 12# with lots of growing left to do.. they are slow to mature 2 years to get good colors and 4-5 years to physically mature

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store