Discus Pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
Debbie you took some nice pictures. Discus look so awesome I think they actually hide our lack of photography.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Awesome!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Thanks for the compliments everyone, I'm loving these guys.

They look superb, Debbi !
Red Snakeskins ? Sizes ?
And btw, your photography is pretty darn good !
They are Forrest's HB red snakeskins, from two different batches, so 2 are almost 5 inches and 4 of them are about 4.5 inches. It's a low light tank and the brilliant blue details are hard to catch. They are coloring up very nicely!

Amazing looking Discus. They have awesome colors, look very healthy and bright.

What plant is that behind them with the wrinkly leaves. Is that live? It looks kind of like crypt Balansae. But mine never grow that well, what is your trick.?
It is a crypt balansae, and I actually keep trimming the long leaves back every couple of weeks! Guess they like discus "fertilizer" :grinyes:. It's warm 84-86F water, very hard so it's full of minerals. Low light, I don't add anything to the water in the way of ferts, just discus "ferts".

those are the prettiest fish i've seen today! what size aquarium is that? love the crypts in the background also.
That tank is a 72G bowfront, nice and wide footprint for the large discus.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Used a different camera, pics come out a bit nicer.........

..Balaji Lunch 081.jpgBalaji Lunch 168.jpg..Balaji Lunch 097.jpgBalaji Lunch 167.jpgBalaji Lunch 156.jpgBalaji Lunch 141.jpgBalaji Lunch 139.jpgBalaji Lunch 138.jpgBalaji Lunch 101.jpgBalaji Lunch 029.jpgBalaji Lunch 052.jpg

Balaji Lunch 029.jpg Balaji Lunch 052.jpg Balaji Lunch 073.jpg Balaji Lunch 081.jpg Balaji Lunch 097.jpg Balaji Lunch 101.jpg Balaji Lunch 138.jpg Balaji Lunch 139.jpg Balaji Lunch 141.jpg Balaji Lunch 156.jpg Balaji Lunch 167.jpg Balaji Lunch 168.jpg

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Your Red Snakes are beautifully-shaped, Debbi, with sharper coloration and more pronounced markings than my Forrest RSS's - where did you get them - from Kenny? If so, it's quite obvious that your supplier gets the cream of the litters, more so than my source up here in Canada. lol
I got mine at just around 3", and most are now well over the 5" mark, to about 5.5".
Of course i grew them out in a planted community tank, knowing full well that would likely tend to limit their potential growth somewhat, and take longer to do, and it has. But I'm happy with them, just wish I had a better camera, and better photography skills, like you obviously have !

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
I love your discus...so gosh darn excited to get into these fish, thanks for the inspiration

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Here is a HBRT from forrest purchased at 3.5". Now 7.5" and still growing:
Whoa! Beautiful, and 7.5" and still growing! That is simply amazing! If my guys get that large, they will make the 72G tank seem too small! I know that it's possible, many of Forrest's discus go beyond the 6" mark.

Paul, Kenny is my man! These guys eat like every meal is their last meal, I asked Kenny to please send a support check! :D I love watching them when they glide thru the tank as a shoal. Graceful to say the least. And I do love that there's not an ounce of aggression amonst them. There is no "low fish on the totem pole" with this group. They all seem to recognize that my big old white butterfly male is top dog, but he's a real pussycat and since he had lost his mate, he's very happy to have them in the tank with him. He's the only one that "nudges" any one away at feeding time, but it's old man style nudging! I'm looking forward to seeing their complete coloration as adults.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store