DIY - Root Tabs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hilde

AC Members
Dec 20, 2008
The typical mix:
3/4 cup plantex csm+b
3/4 cup red pottery clay
2 tablespoons potassium sulfate
2 tablespoons epsom salt
2 teaspoons potassium nitrate.
Where do you get the clay and how do you know that it is safe for the fish?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I never realized that I forgot to state sources of ingredients, maybe a mod can amend this info into the original post.

Red Pottery Clay - Joann's, labeled as Red Mexican Clay, sometimes labeled as Red Indian Clay too.

Plantex csm+b - aquariumfertilizer.com or greenleafaquarium.com

Potassium sulfate - K2SO4 - aquariumfertilizer.com or greenleafaquarium.com

Epsom salt - drugstore/grocery

Potassium nitrate - KNO3 - aquariumfertilizer.com or greenleafaquarium.com

Also I went through and checked prices, and if your buy your clay from Joann's, which I believe was about $10, and the chemicals from aquariumfertilizer.com (everything besides Epsom salts which are cheaper from the drugstore) which are $26 shipped. That $40 roughly, which will make make approximately 500 1mm balls+. Which is definitely cheaper than Flourish tabs.
The clay is kaolinate i.e. potters clay. As long as it is just the ingredient is just the clay you can pick it up at any craft/art supply store.
Hopefullt that answers your questions Hilde! ;)

AquaPonixRox

Wet Behind the ears
Dec 18, 2008
La La Land
so i was reading about how ya could use certain products from store as plant ferts.

the list is

Fleet Enema (KH2P04)
No salt/Nu salt (KCL)
spectricide/greenlight stump remover or salt peter (KN03)
Epsom Salt (magnisium sulphate)
Plantex CSM+B

my question is how could i make these using those items?

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
those products are those chemicals. you dont make them out of it. spectracide stump remover is pure kno3.

as far as alternatives to plantex, you need some other type of trace ferts. like tropica or microplex or something. prob better off just buying trace from aquariumferts.com or similar website

Cichlidgirl91

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
Tobaccoville, NC
Theoretically.... couldn't you buy the PMDD Pre-mix from Aquariumferts and add clay to it?
It has everything else you need, so could this work?
If so... I'm definitely getting that!

jptjpt

AC Members
May 16, 2008
It seems to me that most people can't seem to find the clay component to this recipe. Look for it at your nearest pottery/ceramics shop. I use Redart Cedar Heights dry clay so it's already in powdered form and has good iron content. That makes the recipe a whole lot easier to do. Please do try these tabs and see how nice your plants grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store