Do all cories have a green sheen?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Something_fishy_in_here

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2015
I've recently upgraded my cories from a 15 gallon to a 40 breeder. I've also added some new cories to beef up the groups, and some congo tetras (who were unhappy being moved from their other tank, but it was getting a little crowded.) All of the sudden, I'm noticing all of my cories (I've got green, reticulated, and pandas) are all shimmering green! Some of them are just in certain areas, others are all over. I've never seen them look like this before, and I know that the green cories should be green, but is this a normal attribute for all or many of them? I'm also having some issues since I added the new ones. One of the new reticulated died from popeye and two of the greens died mysteriously. Basically, I'm hoping that the green sheen is normal, and not some sort of fungus or parasite.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yea, green sheen can be normal for some cory species, depends on lighting too.

Popeye can be from injury (from netting?) but more often bacteria or poor water quality. True fungus is not usually a primary disease. Could you tell if it was new fish that died? Mystery death without any signs are impossible to diagnose.

Did you move the filter from the old tank, all the media or what? High ammonia can "burn" gills, cloud eyes, etc. Nitrite can cause "brown blood" disease etc.

It probably would have better to use the new tank as a quarantine tank for the new fish for a few weeks before adding the old. Or move all the 15g fish to the 40g w/filter & use the 15g as a QT. Even better is a dedicated QT that 1 species from 1 source is kept for 4 weeks ( what I do, quarantine is from "40 days").

Too late now, keep the water very clean, test often & watch closely.

Something_fishy_in_here

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2015
Reticulated was a new one, and one green. The other green was not, but he may have died from stress as he had lost all his color. The tank is cycled. Its not absolutely new, and I did add the seeded media to the new filter. My ammonia was a little high at .25, but no nitrite, low nitrates. I did a water change, and added prime to be safe. No one else looks sick except a newer panda with some barbel erosion, and my other green who is white like his brother. All my other cories took just fine to their new mates.

Something_fishy_in_here

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2015
Also I am fairly new to fishkeeping bigger tanks. I have had my cories for a good while, and i have a betta, and a goldfish. Recently. I became adventurous, and started my 55. It's doing great. I did all my research, and that tank is thriving. As for my newer 40g, I am learning from my amateur mistakes.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm sorry you're having trouble. Any ammonia is at least stressful. How did you acclimate the new fish? Did you test your old tank & new & acclimate if very different? Sometimes big differences in TDS (total dissolved solids), GH or nitrate can be stressful too or even deadly (see old tank syndrome).

Were the fish hard to catch? Again, that can be stressful if you chase them for a prolonged time.

Watch for signs of distress & disease. Red gills, fast breathing, dashing around (or inactivity), tiny white spots etc; the paleness is concerning. Keep monitoring water, feed lightly, do small frequent water changes or at least add Prime daily to neutralize ammonia. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store