1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Do you buy fish from Petco or Petsmart?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by Chrisk-K, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC

A reputable LFS is about 25 miles away, which means that a round trip would take 3+ hours (I hate driving in this East Coast metro area!).

So, I've bought fish from Petco and Petsmart. So far I've been lucky - only one casualty. Whenever I visit either, however, I promise not to buy there because I usually see at least one dead fish in a tank.

2. odinthejd

odinthejd AC Members

I would go to the LFS...I would search around a little bit more for any other LFS....have you thought about buying your fish online??? If not there are many sites that have great fish!

3. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Josh
    Never have. I have good enough LFS's in the area.

4. lilim10

lilim10 AC Members

June
    Here generally petsmart is better than petco, in my experience. But I agree that a LFS is a much better choice.

5. Mgamer20o0

Mgamer20o0 BobsTropicalPlants.com
    Staff Member

nope i have far better options local.

6. The Zigman

The Zigman Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
    Staff Member

Not usually, but when the $1 tetra sale kicks in, I'll be in line to get all the cardinals I can get!

7. ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ BIG BOSS

I believe all my fish are from petsmart.

my girlfriend has 1 fish from petland, and 2 from walmart, her others were breed by me.

Petco out here their selections suck.

8. Pearl

Pearl AC Members

Vicki
    I never buy fish from Petco or Petsmart because one of the best lfs in Michigan (Preuss Pets) is just a thirty minute drive from my house.

9. tropfishsuccess

tropfishsuccess AC Members

No. I have to drive 100 miles one way to get quality fish. I use to have a PetsMart before I moved but it was like buying from a Ich Store that sold fish on the side. Support a quality LFS if you can. I make a weekend trip to buy fish, drive down early on a Saturday Morning and bring back some new additions. If you know what your looking for call around first.
    Good Luck

10. BettaFishMommy

BettaFishMommy finkids make me happy :-)

Sherry N.
    i've bought a few fish from big box stores around here and had all of them go through qt and main tank life just fine with no issues. i still have the two albino cories i bought from big al's last july and the lil jewel cichlid i rescued from being lunch for a large jewel at petcetera ended up moving a good ways across the province i live in to be rehomed to a more suitable tank. far as i know he is still doing well. have a little red wagtail platy from a friend that got it at petsmart about 8 months ago. all my other fish have come from smaller mom & pop style stores and i much prefer buying from the little guy!

you really do have to watch out buying from big box stores, and qt! qt! qt!!!!!!