dream realized; now reality

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
I've always wanted a big tank and I recently stumbled upon a 135g that was too good to pass up.

Now, however, comes the fun (and nightmare) of setting up this beast.

My first questions are about plumbing. I have two 90g currently running with overflows/sumps. I won't use anything else. The 135 in not drilled, not too thrilled about drilling it, so was looking to do the DIY PVC overflow into 55g sump.

If my goal is to get 10x turnover, that's over 1300 gallons pumped per hour at a head height of, I'm going to guess, will eventually be 3-4 feet. Would I be better off running a pair of overflows and a pair of return pumps? My thinking is, 1 - two pumps would give me some redundancy in case one pump fails, but 2 - it may be easier to find two pumps that push 700 gph instead of one 1300-1400 gph.

My only other concern with the PVC overflows is potential for floods. I hear one of the drawbacks of the HOB weir systems is the siphon doesn't break in a power outage and could drain the tank and over flow the overflow. Are there similar concerns for the PVC alternative?

And no, I don't know what I'm going to stock it with :). I currently have a 90g african mbuna setup and a 90g quasi-community.

Ready...set....GO! :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I am no expert... but,

A weir will only drain until the bottom of the weir, i.e there is a finite amount of drainage there;

The bigger issue with aftermarket overflows with a weir going to a pipe outside the tank, is there's a U-tube, problems will arise if the siphon here is broken, so the contents of the sump will be pumped into the tank also.

as always, best to plan for suitable volume in the tank and the sump.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
overflows get used in fw too, usually in bigger tanks.

get used especially in reefs to keep big ugly equipment out of the DT... like skimmers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store