Equipment for 55 and 170

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
I have the Hydor ETH In-Line 300w heaters. They are plumbed into the tubing coming from the canister filter, so they stay outside the tank. I also like that the heated water is pumped into the tank, circulating as it comes in.
View attachment 216746
I used to run them on my oscar tank years ago as my oscar couldnt be trusted with heaters in his tank. Great hearters, well worth the money.
I also had eheim and fluval canisters on his tank, i would only have eheims after having both.

Reactions: Jade.Crusader

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Jade- If you wanted to stick with HOB filters only, you absolutely could on a tank this size. You could run 3 Aquaclear 110s on a 170g tank. In regards to HOBs, Aquaclears are the best because of their reusable media and the fact you can use what ever bio media you want in them. Another option would be 2 AC110's and some sponge bubblers. I like to run several kinds of filtration on my tanks in case one poops out or so I can swap filters around to different tanks.

Like said, canister filters are great (I've got two) and offer a massive surface area of filtration media compared to a HOB, but they are more labor intensive in terms of maintenance. You can lift out and squeeze/rinse an AC110's media in a matter of a minute. A canister cleaning can take a half hour or more, plus you have to pray you can get it primed and pumping again with no seal leaks. You have to clean/lube the seals too if you want them to last, plus you should have spare seal and impeller kits on hand. There's always potential to getting water on the floor in this hobby, but a canister will most definitely increase the chance of this.

IMO, best option is run an aquaclear or two for the majority of your mechanical filtration and a canister for some mechanical and lots of bio filtration. This will help take the solids load off your canister and reduce the frequency of cleanings. I only have to break down my canisters every 3 months running setups like this.

In regards to heaters? They're all good provided you keep the business end out of the water at all times. Keep a "submersible" heater fully under water and water eventually gets in them. Keep the dial end dry and even the cheap ones will last years.

Last edited:

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I had another thought, sunsun is a cheap canister filter. It's basically a Chinese knock off of one of the major brands. I've heard mixed reviews on them. A friend of mine has one on his SW tank and it's been going strong for 5 years. Worth looking into at least if the budget is a concern. Some of the smaller models are less than $50 on amazon.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep. I've had my Sunsun 302 running for 3yrs now. All original parts. You can those shipped to your door for under $50. I've seen'em as cheap as $40 shipped w/ media. You'd need at least 3 of them on a 170g though.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
but canister cleanings are rare compared to media cleaning in an HOB...just saying....

Reactions: krytan

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
but canister cleanings are rare compared to media cleaning in an HOB...just saying....
I'm with you there Bob. I only clean my canisters once every three months.

And I'm not sure about the comments above about priming. I guess it depends on what kind of canister you have. I honestly can't remember the last time I primed mine.

As to cleaning, I can only speak for my Rena's, but you simply push a lever up to release the unit, a quick disconnect if you will. Take the filter over to the sink, rinse out mechanical media, and put it back in. Place the filter back in place, pull the lever down to reconnect, and turn it back it on. It takes me all of maybe fifteen minutes.

And I have replaced the seals, but never because of a failure. I only do because they have been running for so many years I figure it is a good idea. And I have never replaced the impellers. I do take them out and clean them from time to time, but only if I've got nothing else to do.

And I have nothing against HOB's, just saying IMO canister filters are pretty easy to maintain. The other consideration is how close the tank is to a wall. Mine is so close I can barely get my tubing behind it, let alone an HOB.

Reactions: krytan

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
170g is much bigger than I've done but I have several Rena XL3s (or whatever the 3's are/were). They are very straight forward & can work with (but I haven't) tried Hydor in-line heaters. I also run a fluval 405 (or similar, 404?) that I'm not used to after almost 2 years & maybe 3 cleanings. It's really about what is comfortable to you & your maintenance schedule.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
170g is much bigger than I've done but I have several Rena XL3s (or whatever the 3's are/were). They are very straight forward & can work with (but I haven't) tried Hydor in-line heaters...
I've always liked the looks of those Rena/Filstars.

The only negative I've read about with them, is with their top latches breaking, but replacement parts look pretty cheap and easy to get.. The design looks great to me. I like the see-through housing and the square trays. Probably easy to cut and fit your own DIY media.

In regards to priming issues, leaks, impellers. I've read of (but not experienced) these problems with Marineland C-360s. These are very popular over at an oscar forum I'm on. Some guys have many of them, along with Eheim classics. Some seem to have constant issues, others not so much. My C-360 has only been in service for 2yrs, but so far, so good.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I have many C-360s and never experienced the problems FF mentions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store