Filter media?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EchoMN

AC Members
Jan 6, 2015
Other than Purigen, what does everyone put in their filters? I'm starting a 26 Gallon bowfront, and I was able to score a Marineland HOT Magnum 250. It suggests putting in charcoal, and it's going to be a planted tank. I don't use charcoal in my other tanks. I plan to to some purigen, possibly poly stuffing. What else could be used?

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
I depends upon what I need for a specific aquarium.
I prefer activated carbon over charcoal and even then I do not always use it in established aquariums.

I do like Purigen, and use it often, but be aware it can mess with your Redox Balance

A few others I use include Matrix by Seachem, Algone, volcanic rock.

Here is a Ref. that lists many filter medias:
http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2007/05/aquarium-filter-media.html

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I use biomedia in the carbon basket of my HOT Magnum.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
To me, the most important component of an aquarium filter is it's bio media. I run sponge and various types of soft/hard bio media in my canisters and HOBs. Two of my tanks also have sponge bubbler filters in them.

I wouldn't waste the space in a filter with chemical media if I didn't have to.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
For maintenance of your overall bio-filtration, you should use a large medium-mesh sponge, along with some ceramic bio-balls or similar product, as your 'more or less' permanent housing media, to be rinsed occasionally.
For mechanical filtration, nothing beats double-layered filter floss, replaced with new product fairly frequently - suggest every 2 weeks or less.
I don't like the term 'chemical filtration', but Purigen is the best in this category, and it's all I use 24/7 - re-charged on a rotating basis (2 filters) every 2 or 3 weeks.
This, along with the filter floss, and fine mesh pre-filters on the filter intake tubes, provide the optimum water clarity, and pick-up/disposal of impurities.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Purigen is great stuff. I used to use it religiously in my saltwater tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store