Fish seizure!?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheWeirdFish

AC Members
Nov 5, 2020
I was at my outside pond trying to move a fish, when i caught it it just swam to the surface and started to spin. Not just swim bladder disorder sort of spin, it was rolling and spinning very very fast like it was breakdancing while having a seizure, i took it and put it where i was trying to move it. It kept spinning like crazy than rested on the bottom (its a bottom dwelling fish, so normal) and seemed to ignore my hand completely i could touch it and examine it. It had no obvious physical damage or abnormalities and it was breathing. No injured fins. I let it go and it swam (normally) to a hiding spot. Next day in the hiding place it was very dizzy and aphatic and sleepy. I dont know whats wrong with it. Its not thin or old or wounded. The water is clean and has oxygen

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I would suspect chemical poisoning of some sort, has anyone touched the tank with hand sanitizer on their hands?

I ask this as I recently had a tragedy with this and some of the fatally affected fish spiraled out of control. My kid stuck his hands in my tank and I lost a lot of fish from it.

TheWeirdFish

AC Members
Nov 5, 2020
No chemicals have come in contact with the water. I dont know what it could be. The fish is fine now i havent seen it spin anymore but its sort of.. Sleepy? It just rests all the time,it doesnt look skinny or injured. Im not sure but maybe its something neurological because of the movements abd i dont see anything physically abnormal on it. I hope its not because of where i got it from because i saved it from a drying puddle that had very dirty water and probably full of parasites (there were a lot of dead fish in that area)

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Was it treated for parasites?
There are some rather uncommon parasites that can cause neurological problems

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
What kind of fish are we talking about? What is on the bottom of the pond, substrate, mud, nothing? Have you checked pH, temperature, and other water parameters?

Reactions: NoodleCats
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store