Fish tank too heavy for floor?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drdud

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
Southwest of Chicago
From "http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...ium_weight.php "

Myth #5: "If the floor in my kitchen can support the 500 lb refrigerator then the floor in my living room should be able to support my 500 lb aquarium." This isn't necessarily good logic. Do the floor joists span exactly the same distance in both rooms? Do the other items in the rest of both rooms have the same weight? Is your refrigerator and aquarium the same shape so that this same weight is distributed over the same number of floor joists?

The reason that there is rather large safety factor built into the floor design is to take care of as many unknowns and imperfections as possible. Did the plumber cut a notch in the bottom of your floor joists for his piping? Is there any insect damage or maybe a little dry rot? Is there a split or knot in the wood in a zone of high stress? No one wants to have to replace their floor because it is not in perfect condition. So if your aquarium loads your floor over the safe load limit you might not be in danger of collapsing the floor, you might just have less safety factor than recommended. If you're stretching the load limits of your floor structure, then be absolutely sure that your floor structure has no imperfections.

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
Floor joists arent going to be perfect. Its just not going to happen unless you choose the joists yourself. Even then you will get knots etc. Its just not the joist that hold the load, it is the outside studs and beams that hold the upper floor up. Your house weighs alot more than a fish tank. Its the way you set the tank over the joists that matters.
The best way to go about the structural integrity of your floor is the way your tank is sitting over the joists themselves. Say your floor joists run Vertical like this [ [ [ [. you will want your tank to sit over them the opposite direction like this. _________. That will distribute the load evenly.

Jamo3030

AC Members
Dec 26, 2010
Everyone has already kinda said it, but a 35 gallon tank will not have ANY problem on your floor. A 100 gallon tank will not have a problem. When you get into the upper sizes (100+) it is wise to position them near a bearing wall and running perpendicular to the joists. Fresh water (sp gravity 1.00) weights about 8lbs/gal. Floor joists are laid 16" on center. Older houses will normally have beefy true 2x6's for joists with angled plank subflooring and then flooring on top of it all. This makes a pretty **** strong floor. Newer construction uses lighter joists often (still 16" on center) and its not uncommon to see plywood or ever chipboard subfloors.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
should be fine, i have two 55s one 75 all in the living room in my apt.and doing pretty goood. ( one 55 aint filled yet tell i clean it but still ) plus theres a basement underneith me to lol. but yeah you should have no problems wit a 35

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
What's the big deal over 28 tanks? I have 22 and some of our members have 50+. Once you have more than 3 you sort of quit counting . . . . .

If Mg is saying 28, a more realistic number would be closer to 40+. LOL

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
i have 9 tanks total. 3 only set up, tell i get my own place ( i have my own place but i mean a house of my own ) then ill set the rest up. but only going to have two 55s one 75, but i will keep collecting tanks! can never have to many spare tanks LOL. and MG mind selling me a few your not useing LOL, most tanks i had set up at one time id say would be around 10-12 with a 75 being my biggest and rest around 5 to 29 gallons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store