1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Fish that will eat plant debris (hornwort)

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by ddoan, Sep 5, 2003.

1. ddoan

ddoan AC Members

Is there a fish that will eat hornwort debris readily? I have quite a bit and want some help cleaning it out. I have no algae, my amonia is 0 as well as my nitrite. My nitrate is below 5 according to the hagen test kit.

Thanks,
    Don

2. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    Snails will clean up plant debris, after it has begun to break down a bit. Most fish that will eat this kind of stuff will also eat the plant itself. You may want to look into getting a prefilter on a power head--the litter gets sucked onto the filter, which can be easily removed and rinsed.

3. ddoan

ddoan AC Members

Any particular fish? I was thinking about getting a couple of Pseudotropheus socolofi aka Powder Blue Cichlids, but they will a month old and I don't know how they'll even touch the debris. I also have a dwarf neon puffer that likes snails dearly. Adding snails will be hard since they disappear readily.

-Don

4. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    I'm not that familiar with cichlids--you may want to post in the Cichlid forum and see what they can tell you.

Dwarf neon puffer? Have a scientific name for that? I have dwarf puffers, so know what you mean about snails vanishing. Of course, they can also be very abusive to just about any fish--I had to remove the cories from my tank because the puffers were beating the heck out of their fins.

5. delmore

delmore AC Members

Plants "lock up" nitrates. One way to get rid of nitrates is to cull the dying plants from your tank.

6. PumaWard

PumaWard In loving memory of Meeko

I when I had dwarf gourami that they used to eat dead/dying pieces of my hornwart. Don't put them in there though if you're puffer will beat the living daylights out of them ;)