Furanase treatment for fin/tail rot, mouht fungus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I've had good luck with API triple sulfa for fin rot. Havent tried it on cottonmouth, tho the package indicates it can be used for that, too. No luck with Maracyn-2 for fin rot.

lili70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2007
I can support the fact that Furanase is effective for fin rot (bad cases).
Columnaris is hard to treat (based on my experience) and some Kanamycin might be useful.
I am really surprised that Furanase didn't wiped out your biofilter after the first dose. It did on mine but I was using a small qt tank. Check parameters daily, please.
L

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
I am really surprised that Furanase didn't wiped out your biofilter after the first dose.
Me too! I have been checking the params daily on the big treatment tank as well as the 10g with the betta being treated, and both bio-filters are 100% working.

When you used Furanase, how long did you use it for and about how many days did it take for fish to look completely cured?

Yesterday I woke up to a dead guppy in there, and it wasn't even one that had any "rot" of any kind. So it was either too much salt to handle or too much medication. I did about 45% PWC, adding new water back slowly over the evening, without any salt or meds added last night. I haven't replaced carbon yet because I plan to continue treatment. There is still medication in the water because it's still tinted brown. Whether or not it's "active" after the first day, I don't know. I assume it does accumulate over the course of treatment and reaches it's highest concentration on the last day of treatment.

When I saw the dead guppy, first thing I thought was "ammonia spike," but the ammonia/nitrite is 0. The test is working accurately, confirmed by testing the 30g which is fishless cycling.

What about temperature? I have read article after article on these types of infections. Some say increase temp, some say to decrease it. Some say columnaris is gram-positive while others say it's gram-negative. If they can't agree on these details, how do I even know if the treatment info I'm reading is accurate? :( So, I brought the temp back down to their normal, which is 78-79F.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Sometimes columnaris can be stubborn and require more than the label dosage level. I have always used EM for columnaris and occasionally had to use a double dose level to knock it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store