1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Getting Algae Off of Rocks - Bleach?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by Jakezori, Jun 18, 2011.

  1. Jakezori

    Jakezori AC Members

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2009
    Messages:
    986
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    I recently "inherited" about 100 lbs of nice aquarium limestone. Every single piece is half dark green though. I have heard you can mix bleach with water and soak the rocks and then let them sit out in the sun, but I wanted to double check if that would be safe for fish and if that would do anything. Also, I am certainly open to any other ideas for removing this algae. Thanks!

    P.S. If the bleach thing works. How much bleach should I put in per 10 gallons?
     
  2. Vince G.

    Vince G. AC Members

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2010
    Messages:
    337
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Roselle Park, NJ
    Another option is to try spraying it with Hydrogen Peroxide. That kills algae (Including the dreaded BBA), and is much safer for the fish. The algae turns pink, dies, and comes off by itself, and the Peroxide breaks down into water and Oxygen rapidly in the fish tank. I keep a spray bottle of it under my tank and I only use it now, but I'm not dealing with as much rock as you have.

    If you do the bleach dip, use a 1/20 Ratio. Because Limestone is porous, you will probably have to soak the treated rocks in declorinated water a few times after treating to leach out any residual bleach left over. Use more dechlorinator than you would usually use in this water, also. As long as you get the bleach out of the rocks before you put them back in the tank, it should work fine.
     
  3. smitty

    smitty AC Members

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2004
    Messages:
    523
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
    Real Name:
    Jeffrey Smith
    That is what makes this site so good. You can learn something new every day.
     
  4. RNeiswander

    RNeiswander Bunned

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2010
    Messages:
    1,100
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    SW Ohio
    Are the pieces in your tank now or are they dry? I would think a good wire brush would go far, and then maybe you could soak it? Just a thought
     
  5. Jakezori

    Jakezori AC Members

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2009
    Messages:
    986
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    They dried up, but I have them in water now. All of the algae is dead so I'm not sure the hydrogen peroxide will work. I think I'm going to wire brush them and then bleach them. Thanks all!
     
  6. Rbishop

    Rbishop ...and over the edge.
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2005
    Messages:
    37,018
    Likes Received:
    20
    Real Name:
    Mr. Normal
    I use bleach all the time. Have no clue on the ratio........I start filling the sink with warm to hot water, dump in a cup or two of bleach, and start stacking in the rocks. Let them soak a while, use a stiff nylon brush to get stubborn areas. Restack in warm water in the other one that has been dosed heavy with Prime.
     
  7. BettaFishMommy

    BettaFishMommy finkids make me happy :-)

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2008
    Messages:
    5,341
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Deadmonton, lol, Canada
    Real Name:
    Sherry N.
    i personally would just use a wire brush and a whole bunch of elbow grease. then again, i'm paranoid about using bleach on my fishy stuff.
     
  8. stephcps

    stephcps AC Members

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2009
    Messages:
    2,203
    Likes Received:
    0
    The bleach will make our task much easier and is safe for the fish. Just rinse well after and let them dry before putting in your tank.
     
  9. RodInCALIFORNIA

    RodInCALIFORNIA EBAY ADDICT !

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2008
    Messages:
    2,005
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    CALIFORNIA
    Real Name:
    ROD
    I bleach everything then rinse well and never had a problem been doing it for years.
     

Share This Page