Getting back into the hobby!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

courtneypie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2010
Nashville, TN
Real Name
Courtney
I've been out of the hobby for about four years now, and BF and I just decided we missed having fish, so we're setting up my old 10gal in our apartment (the 60gal has to stay at my mom's for now).

Re: cycling: I got a bit of gravel from the guy at the LFS and all related accessories (the only thing I seem to be missing is a thermometer, but I'm just going to order one tonight). I'd been adding fish food, and after testing yesterday, my ammonia came out to 0.25ppm. I only just discovered the method where you add 100% ammonia yourself, so I picked some up tonight. My question is this: how much ammonia do I add to my 10gal tank? And should I siphon out the fish food I'd been adding for the past few days?

(As an aside, I think I'm set on a small group of harlequin rasboras and pygmy cories.)

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Leave the fish food in it; don't bother siphoning it out. As for how much ammonia to add; I don't remember. It's been awhile since I have cycled a tank with 100% ammonia. You should be able to search for a formula online, but IIRC about a teaspoon per 10gal should be a good starting point. You want your PPM of ammonia to be 4-5ppm (again, I think I am remembering the numbers correctly). I have previously cycled the tank with a piece of ham or a shrimp in a cheese cloth...

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
I would try 1 or 2 drops first, when I cycled my 40 G with ammonia, 1 teaspoon sent the levels off the charts

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
In theory, would any amount of ammonia work but just not as efficiently? I haven't used ammonia to cycle a tank, and I just wondered.
Brian

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
from what I was told is that if the ammonia dose is to high it can stall the cycle by having to many NitrItes

from what I understand the BB that converts NitrItes into NitrAtes takes longer than from Ammonia to NitrIte

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
from what I was told is that if the ammonia dose is to high it can stall the cycle by having to many NitrItes

from what I understand the BB that converts NitrItes into NitrAtes takes longer than from Ammonia to NitrIte
Ah, thanks. Wondered about that.
Brian

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
About 2 drops per gal would be correct. Keep measuring every day till ammonia drops to zero, then add again.
After that you will need to measure for Nitrites. Ect, ect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store