Got my live rock, sand, etc.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Just ordered a koralia 750..got a sweet deal on it too I might add. Hooraaaaay...but man, do I hate my job. Anyways. Should I splurge on a second, or just keep the koralia 1? I'm worried that the 1 isn't powerful enough. But then again I could just use all 3 of them I suppose. Also, should I angle the 750 higher than the 1, given that it's more powerful and will be better adept at keeping the live rock clean? Thanks as always.

:cheers:

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Upon filling to the rim, that is if you do, secure air line tubing for skimmer to built in clip on the side of return or place the tubing over the spout/lumber. Hanging tubing can back siphon when pump/PH shuts off/stops. Although Seaclone may require routine adjusting but does its job.

Have fun!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I have 2 1050s in my 40B and it isn't too much flow but I also have to place them around/behind rocks to prevent too much direct flow on corals. I think a 1050 and a 750 is just about perfect when looking at Koralias for a 40B reef BUT you have quite a bit of open water with the lower scape so 2 750s would probably be ok. I think I would just try the 750 and the 1 for now unless you can get 2 750s (or a 750 + a 1050) for a really good price. Yes you can use all 3 if you want/need but PHs in the tank take away from the look of the display so I like to have as few as possible and hide them when I can.

I actually just got a used Tunze 6025 for $25 which is much smaller than the Evos and produces a very nice flow. I had to order a new front cover for it because the guy had cut the deflector/shroud to kick the flow up. When I tried it in my tank as is the flow was so strong that it bounced off the glass 3 feet away and pushed my frogspawn from that side back to the middle of the tank!

It's just hard to recommend flow as each tank is a bit different due to how it is scaped. Just keep in mind that if you don't build up you will have nothing restricting the flow.

As to whether you need more rock that is completely up to you. 50 lbs is more than enough unless the rock is really dense and lacks sufficient pore space. Is the rock heavy or light compared to its size?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Thanks again! I think I'll stick with the 750/1 combo for a while. Most of the rock in there isn't so porous. The one large piece in the middle weighs 20 lbs alone and is basically hollow but for a small chunk. It's also got a million holes in it. I'd like to leave it low for now and might even find some more pieces that aren't so thick. Is the thickness factor going to be a problem? And that sounds like an intense experience with your frogspawn lol.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
It isn't so much a problem but you need to take that into consideration as far as your biological filtration capacity. Solid rock has significantly less surface area for bacteria to colonize on so you need more of it to equate what you would get from porous rock. Not saying you can't use what you have but if you add rock I would make sure it is porous. Bulk reef supply and Marco Rocks has some really nice dry rock you can compare (I may have mentione that already).

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Looks good...I like the pukani. I suppose I could add 10# to the top.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sure but if you're odering might as well make it worth the shipping and get 20. Have a feeling when you see it your're gonna like it. The pukani is really sweet rock (if there is such a thing :))!

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
Haha props to moving so much stuff. There's a funny story that goes along with me going to get my live rock. :p the place was about 30 minutes away, and i dont have my liscense yet because i didnt take drivers ed when i was 15 (different story) anyways me and my step dad went out to get it and we looked at his rock and picked out our 30LBS and he gave us some rubble for my sump free too. So, we're driving back with our buckets of rocks covered in wet newspapers, and we get pulled over for speeding. We're waiting in the car for like 30 minutes wondering why they havent walked back up yet and another cop shows up and they talk for another 15 minutes... Then, they walk up like, sir, your liscense was revoked in november 2009 from an unpaid ticket. I'm like great... $80 of live rock in the back and we cant drive home. So he gives us our two tickets, and tells us to park in a nearby parking lot. My mom is not famous for picking up the phone so she didnt answer, neither did my brother or sister. So, we waited till the cops left, and drove as far away through the neighborhood as we could get then went home. Not the most legal thing but it was funny. Good thing i didnt have much die off from my rocks!!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
rofl that sounds like a nightmare...totally epic the cops just rolled out and nothing died haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store