Gourami lifespan?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
So I have read gouramis can life 4 years if not longer with proper care.

But the mother in law can't keep them alive longer than 6 month at the most. None of her other fish have this problem.

I also just found a dead gourami in my tank this morning. I have had him since 11-19-12 , I know this because I keep a book detailing everything tank related.
I looked him over and saw no visible reasons. I just did my weekly 40% water change, I know I used aqua safe.
My other gourami looks fine as do my other fish.
So...not sure why it happened, but he survived a bacteria infection recently and was recooping nicely. He even made the tank transfer no problem.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
I think it depends on the type. I've had the larger (gold and opacue? The one's they sell normally at petsmart) live for years and pearls. But I've always had trouble with paradise and dwarfs. I have one dwarf that I've had for less then a year. We would buy two, and only one would live. Then we'd add another later, and the first one would die. The new one has lived so far. Water was perfect and there is always plenty of hiding space. I just sum it up to poor breeding? When a place like that mass produces fish with not much regard for health. But that's just my opinion :)

BruinsBro1997

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
California
Real Name
Ben
Depends on which gourami you're talking about.

The regular larger ones like gold, opaline, blue, pearl, moonlight, lavender and all other variants are generally hardy. I remember back when I started the hobby I got a gold gourami that went through a lot of crap and went on to live for three years-the cause of death was an unfortunate carpet surfing.

Dwarf gouramis are susceptible to diseases and are a lot more fragile, as I have found, sadly. It's from poor breeding and bad stock, which makes them not a really sturdy fish, unless they're kept well. I've had more dwarf gouramis than I care to remember. I loved them so much, my first ones started out in a five gallon tank as my first fish ever. Sadly to this date, ten dwarf gouramis are dead, all dying after 8-10 months from unknown causes. It seems that you really need to pamper them and take care of them, and even then they can die for no reason.

That all said, I'm still wondering a few things. What is your stock in the tank? Is there anything that may have bullied it that is larger or perhaps a fin nipper? Any other gouramis in there? Have you checked your water levels, do they all come out good?

I'm sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose a gourami. *sniffles* :(

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Sorry I wasn't clear it was in fact a dwarf gourami.
He was with another gourami (bought at the same time) this whole time, but they never got super aggressive, just shimmer dances. no pecking or chasing, in fact he was the larger of the two.

as far as stock, the 2 gouramis were the only "semi" aggressive fish in the tank. the rest where danios pretty much. I kinda wonder if the danios fast paced life style doesnt stress the gouramis out a bit. I bought most of these fish without prior knowledge of compatibility honestly.

unfortunately I had to leave for work immediately after finding him and feeding the fish, I pulled a 14hr day yesterday so when i got home it was dinner then bed. I hope i get off on time today so i can check the water. Well I am headed to check on the other fish and feed them before leaving for work, wish me luck...

p.s. I did sit and watch the others last night while eating dinner,everyone was accounted for and looking fine. well minus the kuhli loaches, only 3-4 of the 6 come out and play in the open at night.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
So I have read gouramis can life 4 years if not longer with proper care.

But the mother in law can't keep them alive longer than 6 month at the most. None of her other fish have this problem.
6 months is probably about average for a dwarf gourami, unfortunately. 9 out of 10 die from Dwarf Gourami Disease in the home aquarium due to lousy conditions in Asian fish farms. There's no treatment or cure, but on the bright side it only infects dwarfs, not regular gouramis or other fish.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Good to know. Makes me feel better, I didn't know there was a gourami disease that affects dwarfs.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

monicatetra

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Is there any cure for Dwarf Gourami disease ? I was thinking of buying some, but know maybe will reconsider.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
No cure for it. I've given up on them every dwarf I've had has come down with it with in 6-9 months. Pretty much any Dwarf Gourami you buy from an asian fishery is a carrier and will eventually show symptoms and die, I was never able to find any USA breeders.

monicatetra

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
No cure for it. I've given up on them every dwarf I've had has come down with it with in 6-9 months. Pretty much any Dwarf Gourami you buy from an asian fishery is a carrier and will eventually show symptoms and die, I was never able to find any USA breeders.
:(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store