GreggZ's Planted Rainbow Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
So I’ve been working on dialing in my CO2, relying on the drop checker. Probably is good enough, but I wanted to see if I could get a more precise indication of where I am at.

Decided to purchase a CO2 meter. Since this was really kind of a whim, I bought one off of the auction site for about $30.00. Probe has BNC connector, so figure I can upgrade probe at some point if I choose to.

I must say, for the money it’s a pretty neat little gadget. I’ve only had it for a few weeks, but I’ve calibrated it 3 times, and so far it’s right on. I know I could have just purchased a CO2 controller, but since I have well water, I have a little concern about seasonal fluctuations in the parameters. Maybe unfounded concern, but I didn’t want to rely on steady input parameters.

So here’s what I found. Keep in mind I have well water that has been softened, so my numbers are not the usual.

Tap water: PH 8.45 (degassed), GH 1.0, KH 17

Tank water: PH 8.30 (degassed), GH 5.0 (GH Booster added), KH 17

So using a CO2 PH KH calculator, my degassed tank water has 2.6ppm CO2, which is about right.

At the peak CO2 level, I get the following:

20151231_130318_001 (Large).jpg 20160102_155718 (Large).jpg

With PH 7.13 and KH 17, at the peak of injection I am at 37.8ppm CO2. Just a little above the desired, but fish are showing no stress.

I check the meter often, and it does provide a nice numerical indication of where I am at with my CO2. As with the Dwyer flow meter discussed previously in this thread, I know there are plenty of reasons of why this might not be entirely accurate. However, I am finding it handy as to keeping an eye on relative changes of CO2 saturation.

Reactions: Wild West

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
My understanding of tools and test that would give accurate Co2 readings is cost prohibitive for most of us if we want to continue to have a future with our significant others...LOL Co2 charts, drop checkers, PH controllers, and monitoring the fauna although not scientific precision is close enough similar to carpenter rules I've yet to find a 90 degree corner in my house...LOL

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
My understanding of tools and test that would give accurate Co2 readings is cost prohibitive for most of us if we want to continue to have a future with our significant others...LOL Co2 charts, drop checkers, PH controllers, and monitoring the fauna although not scientific precision is close enough similar to carpenter rules I've yet to find a 90 degree corner in my house...LOL
Jay that's a good illustration of what I mean. Then funny thing is that even the online calculators and charts don't agree on the CO2 ppm give the same inputs of PH & KH. Between the PH meter and the CO2 flow meter, at least I feel like I have a decent handle on what is going on. Good enough for me.

Somehow I still feel like someone who actually has expertise in this area could explain why even now I am grasping at straws!

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Quick update on my planted adventure. Added an American Marine Pinpoint PH controller this weekend. I've read lots of pros and cons on ph controllers, and decided it was something that should be worthwhile to me.

In my tank, I need to get the ph to 7.2 to provide co2 at about 35 ppm. What I'm hoping to do is provide a more stable co2 ppm throughout the day. I have increased my co2 flow rate, so the PH gets to 7.2 more quickly, then stays in a range of 7.2 to 7.3 ph all day (co2 in the 30 to 35 ppm range).

I watched it pretty closely this weekend, and so far it seems to work very well.
20160124_131536 (Large).jpg

And here are some observations having gone from low tech to high tech. There is no question co2 injection makes a huge difference. Not only in the health and growth rate, but in the much wider variety of plants you can keep successfully. It is also definitely more work. I find myself checking the tank everyday, and am now trimming pretty much weekly. But it is also more rewarding, and really becomes much more of a hobby than ever before. Which to me is a good thing, and I am really enjoying it so far. Don't have it all figured out yet, but getting closer all the time.

Here's a pic just after a trimming yesterday. Threw away about a gallon bucket full of trimmings. It's really started to fill in more and more.

20160124_131214 (Large).jpg

• Love
Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
A little bored on a Sunday evening, thought I would try to get a few pics of my Bows. Always very tricky as they are pretty much in constant motion.

albino2 (Large).jpg
Orange Albino Millennium Rainbow (Glossolepis Pseudoincisus)
Boes (Large).jpg
Boesemani Rainbow (Melanotaenia Boesemani)
Goyder (Large).jpg
Goyder River Rainbow (Melanotaenia trifasciata)
millenium3 (Large).jpg
Millennium Rainbow (Glossolepis Pseudoincisus)
neon2 (Large).jpg
Neon Rainbow (Melanotaenia Praecox)
Running Creek (Large).jpg
Running Creek Rainbow (Melanotaenia trifasciata)
turq4 (Large).jpg
Turquoise Rainbow (Lake Kutubu) (Melanotaenia Lacustris)
Wapoga (Large).jpg
Wapoga River Rainbow (Chilatherina alleni)

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Here's one more.....not a Bow, but pretty photogenic.GBR (Large).jpg

tims880

AC Members
Dec 13, 2015
So are your rainbows physco....I have 3 blues for awhile....One has a yellow stripe down the center, that one beats the crap out of the other 2 non stop does not let up......
I come from big cichlid tanks .....I wanted peaceful.
Do I need to add more?

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
So are your rainbows physco....I have 3 blues for awhile....One has a yellow stripe down the center, that one beats the crap out of the other 2 non stop does not let up......
I come from big cichlid tanks .....I wanted peaceful.
Do I need to add more?
The yellow stripe down the nose is referred to as "Flashing". They can turn it on when they want to establish dominance, and it is part of the mating ritual. Even with no females, they still like to determine who is the boss.

My display it daily, but it's usually for a short time. I look forward to it, as it makes all of their colors pop. I've never had a Rainbow injured from these displays. Usually if my largest Turquoise starts flashing, everyone else cools it as he is the dominant male of the tank, and doesn't take kindly to others showing off.

More Rainbows could help spread out the aggression. However, even with a mixed tank, similar species tend to flash at other similar species. It's like they know who the competition is.

And compared to Cichlid's, Rainbows ARE peaceful. They may spar, but cichlid's will out and out murder someone!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Beautiful pictures and fish...for the most part. When they get that mature shape they freak me out a little :eek: lol They are very pretty tho, really!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store