1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
    Dismiss Notice

Had calci-sand for my Bearded dragon, but had to change it to walnut shells? For now.

Discussion in 'Terrariums, Paludariums and Vivariums' started by hadesnuggz, Feb 14, 2012.

1. hadesnuggz

hadesnuggz AC Members

Tonight I noticed my bearded dragons sand is stinky and its been a few months since I have changed it. I a ways scoop the poop out but it was smelly.

I had some Zilla Walnut Shell substrate laying around and changed it. I have seen stories all over the net and even saw the photo of the disected bearded dragon with the walnut substrate in its gut.

Do you think he will be okay for a day or two until I can get some new lizard carpet?? I never feed him directly on sand, always on a plate.

2. hadesnuggz

hadesnuggz AC Members

nevermind, i just put the sand back in and will be getting some carpet within the next few days.

3. Vicious_Fish

Vicious_Fish Moderator
    Staff Member

Seth
    Yes, definitely get the crushed walnut shells out. Sand or tiles is a better substrate for them.

And reptile carpet isn't much better than walnuts. It's a breeding ground for bacteria among other things.