Having trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lokey96.xD

AC Members
Jan 31, 2016
So I've been trying to breed my betta and been having more trouble than I thought I would :/ (if you've seen my passed questions) First time trying to breed the two everything went well till the embrace when the male wasn't able to squeeze and eggs out. So after a day I removed to female and fed them both frozen bloodworms for a week and updated my breeding tank.

When I add the male to the new tank he didn't make a bubble nest I left it for two days and still no nest (for these two days I showed him the female twice a day for about 30 minutes). I decided to add her with a clear devider between them left for a day and still no since of a bubble nest. So I've let them together for the passed two days and they just swim around normally with the occasional flare. What am I doing wrong? Everything went so well last time and now nothing! Any advise?

Oh and I've put my younger crowntail next to the tank, read that might help but nothing so far :(

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, it takes the female a while to fill with eggs, the bloodworms help but she needs to look fat & ready. It make take a few weeks. Like I said to you before, more floating plants may help the male bubble nest build, he may not understand the styro-cup, I didn't, lol. Maybe give them a couple weeks not able to see each other & try again.

Lokey96.xD

AC Members
Jan 31, 2016
Well, it takes the female a while to fill with eggs, the bloodworms help but she needs to look fat & ready. It make take a few weeks. Like I said to you before, more floating plants may help the male bubble nest build, he may not understand the styro-cup, I didn't, lol. Maybe give them a couple weeks not able to see each other & try again.
thanks again I've added some duckweed to the tank now and I've got a big bunch of Java moss floating close to the surface but I'll try seperatimg the two for a while think the male might have been a bit stressed out from all this so shall see if a time out will help haha

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Try adding a dead and dried Oak leaf that you know is clear of pesticides. It will release some tannic acid into the water and slightly discolor it. After a few days try adding a female in a clear container so he can see her and display. Works like a charm.

Lokey96.xD

AC Members
Jan 31, 2016
Try adding a dead and dried Oak leaf that you know is clear of pesticides. It will release some tannic acid into the water and slightly discolor it. After a few days try adding a female in a clear container so he can see her and display. Works like a charm.
I ended up using so driftwood to blacken the water a bit and that seem to do the job because I now have fry!!

Reactions: irmuddled

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Success, yay!

Reactions: Lokey96.xD
zoomed.com