HELP PLEASE !!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lorrainemsharp

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2015
Hi new to this page, I'm looking for any help Iv had my tank for over a year it's my sons birthday present from my sister anyway , I have a eel he's started to suck my other fish and in the last 2 weeks Iv lost 3 fish and now Iv just had to take another fish out my tank cause he/she now only has one fin and my eel is always stuck to it so was just wondering if he's killing my fish or is it just cause there cold water fish and Iv has them over a year and my sister has them for a year or two is it just cause there old have attached a picture any help would be much appreciated

Full pic of tank used to be all my fish now I'm down to 1 black 1 gold 1 small fish silver and eel just removed white fish as now has one fin X

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Sorry for your losses!!!

Can you post the aquarium size please?

Do you have a heater on this tank? If so, what is the temperature?

What brand and model filter are you using?

Can you post your tank's water test results for nitrate, nitrite and ammonia?

Your aquarium does seem to have a lot of fish in it relative to its size. Are you doing regular water changes and adding a dechlorinator product?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Your tanks looks a little crowded for it's size. Goldfish will not need a heater, but others may. I cannot see the eel well, can we get a better picture of the eel? Looks like a Loach, which is not harmful to other fishes. I do not see a filter, Is there a filter? Do you do water changes? How?

Lorrainemsharp

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2015
Sorry for your losses!!!

Your aquarium does seem to have a lot of fish in it relative to its size. Are you doing regular water changes and adding a dechlorinator product?
Your tanks looks a little crowded for it's size. Goldfish will not need a heater, but others may. I cannot see the eel well, can we get a better picture of the eel? Looks like a Loach, which is not harmful to other fishes. I do not see a filter, Is there a filter? Do you do water changes? How?

Hey yeah a have a filter don't know the make lol and no heater the water temp is 23c according to the little strip on the tank. I now only have 4 fish and a eel in that tank a don't know the size as I was not a fish person and my sister gave it to my twins for there birthday the light has just stopped working so need to go buy a new bulb :( pic of Ma eel and tank , filter and temp p.s I separated my fish with the one fin and he is learning how to swim again and actually swimming up right today So happy he's doing ok

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lorrainemsharp

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2015
Hey yeah a have a filter don't know the make lol and no heater the water temp is 23c according to the little strip on the tank. I now only have 4 fish and a eel in that tank a don't know the size as I was not a fish person and my sister gave it to my twins for there birthday the light has just stopped working so need to go buy a new bulb :( pic of Ma eel and tank , filter and temp p.s I separated my fish with the one fin and he is learning how to swim again and actually swimming up right today So happy he's doing ok

View attachment 216151

View attachment 216152

View attachment 216153

View attachment 216154
Sorry forgot to say I do full water Chavez ever 4 -5 months and half water changes 2- 3 months too keep water clean

Lorrainemsharp

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2015
Sorry for your losses!!!

Sorry a don't know the size or the filter I'm using and a don't know how to test the water ? My friend is coming over tonight she said it could be fin rot she's studying marine biology So she said she would come have a look for me :) fist time fish person was doing amazing for a year and all of a sudden they start to go to fishy heaven hopefully my friend can help and can tell me what I need to buy included pictures sorry for bad quality lol Ma phone done wanna take good pics today plus Ma lights gone in tank so need to go to pet store to pick one up

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
That's not an eel, it's a weather loach. If it is sucking at the slime coat of the other fish, I'd talk to a local lfs and see if they'll take it off your hands...or you could euthanize it. Either way, I'd get it out of the tank. Also, with the number of goldfish in that tank it will soon, if it hasn't already, surpass your filter's ability to handle the bioload.

Your maintenance regimen is inadequate. For that tank you should at least be doing weekly 50% partials; possibly more. I'd suggest reading through the articles on cycling and testing. Get yourself an API freshwater master test kit. It can help you determine how often you need to do your partials and keep track of water parameters.

There is also a post in General Freshwater titled, "My Aquarist Rant". You may get some insights and useful info from it.

Mark

Lorrainemsharp

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2015
That's not an eel, it's a weather loach. If it is sucking at the slime coat of the other fish, I'd talk to a local lfs and see if they'll take it off your hands...or you could euthanize it. Either way, I'd get it out of the tank. Also, with the number of goldfish in that tank it will soon, if it hasn't already, surpass your filter's ability to handle the bioload.

Your maintenance regimen is inadequate. For that tank you should at least be doing weekly 50% partials; possibly more. I'd suggest reading through the articles on cycling and testing. Get yourself an API freshwater master test kit. It can help you determine how often you need to do your partials and keep track of water parameters.

There is also a post in General Freshwater titled, "My Aquarist Rant". You may get some insights and useful info from it.

Mark
I only have 4 fish in tank now I'm thinking of just removing him and putting him in a tank on his own and getting a little friend to keep him company so he's not alone my filter has work fine for the past year no problems with it so far thanks for all ur help I will read up on fish just freaked me out how after a year they started to die they have all been in the same tank for over a year a think he's bulling them cause he's got so big but my marine biology friend is coming tonight to have a look thanks again X

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
You are not doing enough water changes, IMO. And you should never do a 100% water change. The 50% water change every 2 months may be enough to keep the water LOOKING clean, but it won't be healthy for the fish. If you wait until the water looks bad, it is way past too late.

Edit: oops, Mark was faster. Should have refreshed page before answering.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Also, with the number of goldfish in that tank it will soon, if it hasn't already, surpass your filter's ability to handle the bioload
my filter has work fine for the past year no problems with it so far
What he means by this is that the amount of waste in the tank will not be able to be handled by the surface area available for the bacteria. This is not something you can see, necessarily. Your water may still look clear and clean, but there can and will be more ammonia (and other bi-products of metabolism) than the filter is capable of extracting. You can really only visualize this fully with a test kit.

There are also a few other problems with this tank that I can see.

The first one being that you have what looks like a koi, in what I'm guessing (based on the size of the loach to the aquarium height) is a 20 gallon tall, maybe a 29 gallon. That fish (and the gold fish) will quickly outgrow that size tank and should be kept in a pond.

Second, you have tropical fish (the left hand side of the very first pic) in with goldfish. The tropical fish will need a heater, the goldfish do not.

Third, you are using a stick on external thermometer to measure the temperature. This is not accurate, this measures the temperature of the glass, rather than the temp of the water inside the aquarium.

Lastly, as others have mentioned your water change regime is not going to hold up for the bioload on your tank. The injuries to your fish could have come from nitrate toxicity and once the fish were weakened others took advantage and picked at them causing the injuries that you see (i.e. missing eye).

I highly recommend doing the reading that Mark suggested.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store