Help Which African Cichlid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishwimp

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
I have a 20 gallon tank that I planned on putting 2 female convict cichlids in. The thing is my pH is 8.4. I was thinking I would instead go with a type of African cichlid because they prefer hard water. Could someone please suggest to me African cichlids that can life in a 20 gallon? The more the merrier. Also please a type of cichlid that I can actually find in a fish store. Please and thank you!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Not knowing where you are (related to LFS) I do not know what kind of fishes they keep. With a 20gal, I can only think of Tanganyika Shell dwelling cichlids that would fit.

Fishwimp

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
Not knowing where you are (related to LFS) I do not know what kind of fishes they keep. With a 20gal, I can only think of Tanganyika Shell dwelling cichlids that would fit.
From California. I was hoping that there would be a more active fish but thank you!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I'd stick with the shelldwellers in a 20 long. 30" just isn't enough room for fish to escape aggression. Shell dwellers are aggressive too of course but they are small and can hide in their shells. Lake tang guys will love that 8.4 ph where as not much else would. What's your GH and KH?

tommy d

AC Members
Sep 6, 2016
North Carolina
Camera Used
Panasonic
I've had pretty good luck in a small tank with a cichlid called "rusty." I think they are pretty common and should be available to you on the West Coast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store