Help with ph, gh, and kh

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

corysluvsand

AC Members
Sep 13, 2015
Hello I am worried pH of 7.8 is too high for my 30 gallon aquarium with 5 zebra danios, 6 peppered corydoras catfish, 12 neon tetras, and nerite, trumpet and ramshorn snails. I tested my tap and found that it is 7.8 as well. I tried using distilled water mixed with tap during 30% water changes to lower it but upon testing I realized that the distilled pH is 7.8 too. The distilled water however has lowered my gH from 161-.1 to 125.3 and kH 71.6 to 53.7 I was researching and I think everyone is happier with the new parameters, but was finding mixed information. Do I still need to try and lower the pH and should I keep the gh and kh lowered?

I know it is better to avoid fluctuations so have not tried messing with chemicals to adjust it. I had a bucket with pillow softener and peat moss I was going to use for partial w.c but when I tested the water in the bucket the ammonia was over 1.0 ppm so that idea failed.

The reason I am so concerned about the parameters is that the cories have ich and I want to provide them the best environment for their treatment.

Thanks in advance for the help!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO, fish will adjust to your water. Also 7.8 is not too high for Corys.
Also your is only a little too high, I would not worry so much.

corysluvsand

AC Members
Sep 13, 2015

Okay so I'll just leave it then. Is it good to keep doing the distilled water mix?

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Depends on your source of distilled water. It may be lower in minerals, but depending on what metal the tubing in the distiller or piping down flow is you could be adding something undesirable if you have invertebrates in your tank. It may be a non issue, or it may be adding copper to your tank. Something to consider.

corysluvsand

AC Members
Sep 13, 2015
Depends on your source of distilled water. It may be lower in minerals, but depending on what metal the tubing in the distiller or piping down flow is you could be adding something undesirable if you have invertebrates in your tank. It may be a non issue, or it may be adding copper to your tank. Something to consider.
My snails shells have been looking a bit rough. I will look into it thank you.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Copper would kill the snails. The shells eroding has to do with the calcium/ magnesium availability. I've found more water sources are low on magnesium than not. Every time I started adding a little epsom salts the plants grew better and the snail's shells stopped eroding away.

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
...Every time I started adding a little epsom salts the plants grew better and the snail's shells stopped eroding away.
How much is a little?

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
3/4 teaspoon per 20 gallons is near the 5 ppm I was trying to add when I dosed epsom salts. Both plants and animals use magnesium, so if you are low or near zero you might find improved health and growth by adding some.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store