How many angelfish and discus in a 60 Gallon and 75 Gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
So this is an area of debate. I went through several cycles - my original set was 8 angels and once a pair form the female sort of well kicked one out at a time until there was just two. I then started again with 2 sets of 4 angels. This was an odd arrangement - one set the 4 platinums constantly bicker for about 4 months until they finally got along but again once a a pair formed the other 2 were not welcomed - conversely the 4 blacks got along until a pair formed - and then things were a bit rough. I ended up keeping 4 the two pairs but once they were together the platinum female dumped the platinum male. She sort of accepts the black female (hence the trio) in that she didn't kill it but she did beat it up plenty.
-
There some points here - in my case I always started with a selection of young angels (maybe an inch or 3/4 of an inch) and grew them out. My sample points are small as i only did this three times - when i decided to raise some of the wrigglers things went a *lot* better. I kept 10 (5 black and 5 gold); 1 of the black developed the whirls and i gave the lfs one of the gold to keep things balanced. I moved them into the 120 when they were maybe just over an inch and i was surprise that the parents accepted them and didn't brutalize them. Now they are adults and there is some modest bickering but nothing alarming - at least when i am around (previously the female would force a target into a corner and then continue attacking). The frys are now reaching maturity and they have bred a few times (well laid eggs - they are still learning) and things have actually been reasonable for a community tank with as many as 2 pairs breeding at the same time.
-
However the op indicated he isn't going to have a planted tank and a 55 is pretty narrow so there will be no where to run if a fish gets chased.... so he can try starting with 6 or 8 but i think in the end there is a reasonable chance things won't end well once they mature or maybe my experience has been abnormal and i've just ended up with particularly nasty females (the difference between males and females is the male will threaten or attack once or twice but he won't chase and continue attacking once a fish cowl - the female will - or at least the ones i have had).
-
Of course my tank is so dense now a fish really can hide if they so choose as long as they don't get trapped in a corner.
Alright, I lost track of what you added and moved around and what you added back and when. One thing is obvious, you never allowed any one group to stay together long enough to form a stable shoal with you constantly moving fish around and removing fish and adding fish back. Also, instead of managing the tank to accomodate the fish you had, you just moved fish around until now you moved them to a larger tank.

What I stated about a group living in a 55 long term exactly the way I explained it is NOT debatable. These are my actual experiences with keeping angelfish in a 55 gallon tank. By buying young 1-1/2 inch fish I have grown groups of angels out several times in a 55 gallon tank and maintained them long term. The first three times ended after between 3 and 6 years because I moved and gave the fish away, because my one tank of angelfish played second fiddle to my dozens of Africans. This last time the peace lasted from early 2006 when the fish room was done to mid-2017. The angels started dying in late 2013 and the last one died in mid- 2017. Typical lifespan of angels in captivity is 8-10 years plus or minus, so I have to say I was successful. I'm also holding to the statement that you keep one or you keep a shoal. That's the way I learned to keep angels and it has never let me down. A pair or trio is going to be a problem if even one is a male.

Maybe your experiences are different, but that does not make my experiences wrong or any less factual.

We both are making an assumption as to the decor in the 55. I assumed it would be decorated at the very least, and possibly planted, you assumed it wouldn't be. The OP doesn't state one way or the other how the 55 will be set up. I did not notice the 75 was going to be set up as an iwagumi, which is typically a fairly sparsely planted style focusing on low growing plants if I remember right.

WYite

Last edited:

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I didn't mean to say your experience was debatable. I meant the prediction of what will happen to op angels.... Also as a clarity in expressing my experience. In the first example I started with 8 angels together in the 120 and they remained together until I had to slowly remove them as the female either killed or severely damaged the others one by one.

Alright, I lost track of what you added and moved around and what you added back and when. One thing is obvious, you never allowed any one group to stay together long enough to form a stable shoal with you constantly moving fish around and removing fish and adding fish back. Also, instead of managing the tank to accomodate the fish you had, you just moved fish around until now you moved them to a larger tank.

What I stated about a group living in a 55 long term exactly the way I explained it is NOT debatable. These are my actual experiences with keeping angelfish in a 55 gallon tank. By buying young 1-1/2 inch fish I have grown groups of angels out several times in a 55 gallon tank and maintained them long term. The first three times ended after between 3 and 6 years because I moved and gave the fish away, because my one tank of angelfish played second fiddle to my dozens of Africans. This last time the peace lasted from early 2006 when the fish room was done to mid-2017. The angels started dying in late 2013 and the last one died in mid- 2017. Typical lifespan of angels in captivity is 8-10 years plus or minus, so I have to say I was successful. I'm also holding to the statement that you keep one or you keep a shoal. That's the way I learned to keep angels and it has never let me down. A pair or trio is going to be a problem if even one is a male.

Maybe your experiences are different, but that does not make my experiences wrong or any less factual.

We both are making an assumption as to the decor in the 55. I assumed it would be decorated at the very least, and possibly planted, you assumed it wouldn't be. The OP doesn't state one way or the other how the 55 will be set up. I did not notice the 75 was going to be set up as an iwagumi, which is typically a fairly sparsely planted style focusing on low growing plants if I remember right.

WYite

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I didn't mean to say your experience was debatable. I meant the prediction of what will happen to op angels.... Also as a clarity in expressing my experience. In the first example I started with 8 angels together in the 120 and they remained together until I had to slowly remove them as the female either killed or severely damaged the others one by one.
Fair enough. We'll agree that we've had different experiences and each stick with what works.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store