How Many Striped Raphael Catfish Can Go in a 55 Gallon Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh dear! Like I said in your injured angel thread lots of clean water can help a lot with healing...but golly!

I think you need to have a "time out" from getting new fish until your injured 1s are healed & you've rehomed as needed. While you're changing water you can think about more long term options.

Many female catfish are fatter (wider) than males. Planetcatfish says that about raphs too. But it's compared to other similar sized fish, in sub adults it's hard to tell. But it may not matter, it doesn't sound like the males fight....But you should be sure your stepped fish fully recovers before planning your tank around it.

Don't you like angels any more? You just got the veil a few weeks ago... Angels look too pretty but they are cichlids in many normal ways.

You really need a longer term plan than a few weeks. I know you're a teen but gee whiz, Stop!

StripedRaphCat1234$

AC Members
Jul 24, 2023
Houston, Texas
Real Name
Samuel
Camera Used
IPhone 11 Pro Max
I believe I may have been unclear about my current stock, I've had my current stock for a while. I admit have been changing stock a lot, but I haven't changed stock for a good 2 months+. I'm not getting any new fish under December (My b-day ;) ) I'm trying to heal my angel, but nothing seems to be working, but that's mentioned in the other thread. I've been keeping up with maintenance and as I said in the other thread, my tank water is pristine right now. Like its more clean than its ever been.

I'm not going to keep most of my stock and what I get in December will be my final stock change unless if something really horrible happens.

StripedRaphCat1234$

AC Members
Jul 24, 2023
Houston, Texas
Real Name
Samuel
Camera Used
IPhone 11 Pro Max
Hey y'all! It's been a while since I've updated the current status of my tank, so here's a little update:

I'm working on a tank setup that will be my permanent setup, so no fish that will outgrow the tank. Currently, I have two adult Leopard Bushfish (I think they are a male and female pair), 1 Featherfin squeaker catfish, and 1 Striped Raphael catfish (yes, the same one I've had for the past year). I'm debating on a few options to go with my stock:

1. 1 EBA

2. 1 Platinum Senegal Bichir

3. Angelfish (either dantums or "normal" ones)

4. A new catfish, either a pleco or a Farowella catfish.

5. A school of tetras such as Congo (I will probably mix this option with option 4 if I go through with it).

As for decor, I plan on doing two medium to large pieces of driftwood with smooth, medium-sized rocks and plants.

What do y'all think? Do the ideas sound good?

Also, if any of y'all are interested in learning more about my process of choosing fish for my tank, here are my usernames for other forums:

MonsterFishKeepers.com: @SilverArowanaBoi (the one I'm most active on and the one where most of my process has been recorded)

CichlidFIshForum.com: @Ninetails1256 (most recent)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store