1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
    Dismiss Notice

How to get african cichlids to grow quickly

Discussion in 'African Rift Lake Cichlids' started by CornBreadjiffy, Sep 10, 2009.

1. CornBreadjiffy

CornBreadjiffy AC Members

I am trying to find out ways or methods to get my juvies to a descent size in about 3 months. Any help or remedies that work will be appreciated. Please nothing that you have heard of or thing that might work because not tryin to kill them just getting them a bigger before i move and it gets cold. Thanks to all.

2. Rollinondubz200

Rollinondubz200 rollinondubz2002

i feed my juvies New life Spectrum 3 times a day .it has goten them to go into a growth spurt when i changed to that food.

3. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Josh
    Which species..."african cichlids" is a broad category...

4. CornBreadjiffy

CornBreadjiffy AC Members

Malawi, mbunas, kenyis, pea, and zebras

5. ibr3ak

ibr3ak I Eat Fish

Good diet, warmer temps and frequent water changes. A good size grow out tank helps as well.

6. Mr.peacock

Mr.peacock AC Members

i keep a flat bottom tank with a bigger filter for current feed three times a day and a 10 percent water changes ever 3 days and my fry grows super fast

7. Coler

Coler AC Members

That's pretty much it. I like New Life Spectrum as feed myself - plus some fresh veggies (courgette in particular). Keeping nitrates below 20 ppm is key imo.

8. myswtsins

myswtsins AC Members

Jen
    What they said! I can definitely attest to a bigger tank helping too. I had to hold one batch of fry in a breeder net while waiting for my dividers to come and the difference at 3 weeks between them and the ones that had the whole tank is significant. And since I moved them to the grow out tank they are just growing like crazy! Comparing albino socolofi & red zebra OBs so very similar fish.

I fed brine shrimp, algae wafer bits & finely crushed veggie flake for the 1st 2 weeks. Then I started giving them fresh veggies, NLS growth & Kens veggie sticks w/ Calcium. At 5 weeks my bigger albinos are just under 1". I did not raise the temp though because I hear that shortens their life expectancy. Good luck!

9. Pittbull

Pittbull ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS

Mike
    Also to agree with above really the main ingredient is water changes daily and enough space and a steady temp that isnt too cold..

3x a day for feeding..