how to ship brackish crabs that need land

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Nix having a whole lot of water, a teaspoon or two is fine. 2 mm bag and a few pieces of styro peanuts inside for him or her to hold on to. fill with o2 and tie it up. Works fine for me and that how they are shipped to me too

Oh yeah, square off the ends of the bag with tape to remove edges.

Breather bags are a little delicate for crabs.
square off the ends?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
I think it's because the bags are used and who knows what can happen during shipment. It is always best to ship with new bags. Poly bags cost like $5 shipped for 50. I'm just wondering why you didn't plan this out before planning to ship on Monday.
i thought i had it planned out.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
They're shipped commercially pretty much like Arrakis described, in a bag with a bunch of styrofoam and just a splash of water. As long as the humidity is high enough they don't need to be able to submerge. It keeps the weight and therefore the shipping costs to a minimum.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
ok ill do it that way. i also contacted the buyer and asked whether they would like my to buy the proper bags or just use petco or petsmart bags. finally go this figured out :)

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Petsmart bags are prone to leaking, they always double bag my fish. They know I will ask for it and some know from experience they leak.
You can square off the ends by double bagging, just flip the first bag upside down, so the finished product is a large oval.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i will definently double bag if the buyer would rather me send them with those bags so i can send them sooner but if not ill buy the proper ones. where would i buy those bags anyway?

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
square off the ends?
fill bag up, tie the end, flip it over and tape the bottom the long way.

Petsmart bags are prone to leaking, they always double bag my fish. They know I will ask for it and some know from experience they leak.
You can square off the ends by double bagging, just flip the first bag upside down, so the finished product is a large oval.
this works too

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
i will definently double bag if the buyer would rather me send them with those bags so i can send them sooner but if not ill buy the proper ones. where would i buy those bags anyway?
I've used pet store bags to ship fish and have had others send me some that way also without any problem, just double bag them. You could leak test it if you wanted by bagging some water and leaving it overnight to see if any seeps out.

Any LFS will be able to give you a few bags if you just ask, the private stores probably use the same kind that most shippers use anyway. I order mine from one of the aquarium supply sites. I also bought some from bobstropicalplants a while back.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
When I received my mudskippers by mail last year, they put them in large fish bags full of air with a small amount of water, and they did put flat pieces of styrofoam in there for the skippers to sit on. It worked great and all of them arrived in great condition. They were shipped overnight express - not priority. Hope this helps! Good luck.

Oh, one thing to add... when shipping fish in general, it's a good idea to add some ammonia remover to the water to help cut down on bio waste. I'm sure it would help inverts the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store