Ich outbreak?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Other than it may not kill the ich, nothing. Any fish hobbyist that does things to rush the process inherently sets themselves up for future problems. You have your mind set and are going in that direction, all the best to you.

Reactions: Tifftastic

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
A Aerial to answer your why, it's because, as far as I'm aware, dosing your water with H2O2 won't necessarily kill ich. I've seen no studies on using this method and none of the medications for sale (in the US or the UK) include it (again that I'm aware of). RB suggests this method as it is the only "sure fire" way of killing VIRTUALLY everything. Or as you put it nuking the tank.

You said you didn't want to treat with salt and heat because you didn't want to wait longer to add fish. However, the method you've chosen to remove ich, while it may not be effective for the parasite, has likely removed your BB. Thus setting you back at least 8 weeks in getting fish and the cost of buying the products you listed instead of 2 weeks and 4 cichlid pellets a day (since you said you didn't want to waste food, I'm assuming due to cost).

The method you've chosen is one of the rush methods, which, if you look around this forum, doesn't always have good results.

I generally assume that when people post they want advice and opinions and not just a straight up praising of the choices they've made. IMO we all learn from criticism and suggestions. If you don't want advice and are sure in your methods, that's cool, you're definitely entitled to that. But I think most of us assume that if you make a post you're asking what we think of your chosen methods.

Maybe I'm out of line. That does happen to me being as head strong as I am. Regardless, I apologise for making you upset. However, it doesn't seem to me like you're too interested in our advice on your current t situation. If you just wanted to say "I'm doing X, I don't want advice" and I misinterpreted, I apologise.

GuppyKeeper32

AC Members
Aug 5, 2016
Next time, just crank up the heat a bit and use salt to kill off the ich. I wouldn't use hydrogen peroxide simply because I've seen the resulting issues of fish becoming from traces of the chemical left in disinfected tanks. Good call returning the fish. I'm a bit surprised a big retailer would take them back though.

Gk

Reactions: Aerial

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Ich is the easiest problem in the hobby to fix. I can see returning the fish on principle but it probably cost those fish their lives. I would have kept them and let the retailer know they had better change their ways if they want any of my business or recommendations in the future.

For what it's worth, I would not have nuked he tank and I would hope that no matter your sensitivity to criticism/advice that you now know that if the need arises in the future that it is not necessary or preferred for a simple problem.

I would also hope that you try to settle in to this forum. Misinterpretation of someone's tone is all too easy in places like this. After a while you may find that some of the best help can come from someone with whom you've gotten off on the wrong foot with.

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
In the future I will just treat the tanks. I was aggravated and hasty, so I used h2o2 to kill everything and start over. I tried to explain in a previous comment that I knew it was a mistake, but it was already done. Must've gotten lost in translation. I know myself and if I had waited the two weeks to treat the ich, I would've been too paranoid to put fish back in and inevitably I would sanitize everything, that would have wasted 2 weeks, fish food and etc. I followed that up with "you live and you learn".

I never would have even bothered trying to return the fish. My husband called the store manager. Originally, I was trying to treat the fish with heat and salt. After talking it over, we made the return and decided to steer clear of the temptation, make use of the 10g hospital tanks. The store manager was very puzzled by my plethora of 5g buckets upon arrival.

I am not perfect. I would never claim to be a highly educated person. I do find the way Tifftastic responded towards me as insulting and degrading. All together unnecessary. Especially being I'm posting in the "newbie forum". Rbishop jumping in on the shame train didnt help anything either. Why are people so judgy? Is anything I did truly that "bad". How people can even presume to make negative character assessments over this is beyond me. I am very thorough, i do research. I ask for help. I admit my mistakes and I do learn/move on. I am particularly sensitive to judgemental people. I am human. To error is human, is it not? Fish have feelings? So do I.

I feel bamboozled by this place suggesting it is for helping people with new or rekindled interests in aquaria, when it feels more like a podium for know-it-all types to demean well meaning people. That being said, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

However, I have gotten helpful and insightful suggestions here as well. I most likely will lurk and search rather than post and put myself "out there" any more.

GuppyKeeper32

AC Members
Aug 5, 2016
In the future I will just treat the tanks. I was aggravated and hasty, so I used h2o2 to kill everything and start over. I tried to explain in a previous comment that I knew it was a mistake, but it was already done. Must've gotten lost in translation. I know myself and if I had waited the two weeks to treat the ich, I would've been too paranoid to put fish back in and inevitably I would sanitize everything, that would have wasted 2 weeks, fish food and etc. I followed that up with "you live and you learn".

I never would have even bothered trying to return the fish. My husband called the store manager. Originally, I was trying to treat the fish with heat and salt. After talking it over, we made the return and decided to steer clear of the temptation, make use of the 10g hospital tanks. The store manager was very puzzled by my plethora of 5g buckets upon arrival.

I am not perfect. I would never claim to be a highly educated person. I do find the way Tifftastic responded towards me as insulting and degrading. All together unnecessary. Especially being I'm posting in the "newbie forum". Rbishop jumping in on the shame train didnt help anything either. Why are people so judgy? Is anything I did truly that "bad". How people can even presume to make negative character assessments over this is beyond me. I am very thorough, i do research. I ask for help. I admit my mistakes and I do learn/move on. I am particularly sensitive to judgemental people. I am human. To error is human, is it not? Fish have feelings? So do I.

I feel bamboozled by this place suggesting it is for helping people with new or rekindled interests in aquaria, when it feels more like a podium for know-it-all types to demean well meaning people. That being said, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

However, I have gotten helpful and insightful suggestions here as well. I most likely will lurk and search rather than post and put myself "out there" any more.
Sorry you got off to a bad start with some posters. I hope you won't be deterred from the forums and posting. I don't think you did anything drastically wrong. Believe me, I've done much, much worse, and killed off a ton of fish that way. It's just part of keeping aquariums. I also don't think anyone was trying to be insulting. It is very difficult to read intentions online. I usually use the smilies to get emotions across, but everyone has a different way of doing things. Good luck with your aquariums! ;)

Gk

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store