Ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
I have not seen it in a couple decades, but a botched delivery of mail order fish due to an unexpected snow storm.......And a couple tetras are showing it.

Back in the day it was salt and green stuff (like methylene blue, but green). Whats your favorite medication ? Any Advice?

My heater is "preset". Should I order another heater too?

Thanks!

Last edited:

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Salt and heat

Reactions: Wild West

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Only had this once and it was a minor outbreak but I used salt and increased heat for 14 days, worked well.

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
New heater that is "adjustable" should be here tomorrow. Hopefully. We were just walloped by a snow storm that is moving east, could delay shipping.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
heat and table salt...dozens of threads on it here...

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
heat and table salt...dozens of threads on it here...
Thanks!

I searched for Ich here, and most the posts were more than a couple years old, thought there might be new info since then.

However, salt and heat sounds much easier to me anyway:)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
This is one of those rare instances where the old way is still the best way. :)

Do you have inverts or scaleless fish? They won't handle the salt well.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I had a BN and mystery snails. I just reduced the amount of salt, did lose one snail on the last day of treatment.

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
I lost most my fish the last day. Caught the flu despite a flu shot ( I am on immune suppressants for RA and related crap and sick with flu) so I did not get around to testing the water parameters. Turns out I was dosing a fraction of the bottled BB I needed for that size tank. Yep, I need eye glasses, misread the dosing cup.

Ph 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrate between 0-5
NITRATE between .25-.5

What an idiot. Not sure I am well enough to keep fish anymore. I became confident the BB in my canister filter could handle the load after good water parameter readings the first week + . I was wrong.

Not that it matters, but how typical, sure enough, the bad weather delayed my Amazon shipment for the new adjustable heater and bottled beneficial bacteria. I should order fish and supplies in the summer. Except I am busy enjoying our short summer here in the high plains.......

I do not have enough bottled BB at the moment to get the 55 better so I got the 5 gal up and transferred the few remaining fish to the Nano tank. I added extra salt and extra stress zyme. They seem happy tonight, we will see in the morning as they were pretty rough tonight. (yes, I dosed the BB correctly this time plus added fluval ceramic hex's from the cycled canister :) )

Aaaaaack!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store