Improving the "filter" included with tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kimberly Richardson

AC Members
Oct 11, 2016
Bremerton,Wa
Camera Used
Ipone5
Hello
I have this 3gal cylinder tank with a flat heater.
The tank includes an underground filter with the center tube with the air stone.
But
By taking the concepts I seen applied to diy sponge filters and applying it to this, Am I correct in the idea of the tube doing more this way than the way it came?
I am not trying to get out of water changes or anything.
I was just trying to find a way to up the filtration in this tank without taking away swimming space.

IMG_2988.JPG

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think it depends how you look at it,

on one hand, you have created a place for more beneficial bacteria to colonize

on the other you have created somewhere that's even more difficult to clean.

My personal thought is that it's not necessary, and my preference would be to add some live plants to the water column (rather than rooted in gravel) But it's really all personal preference.

You may find it was fine before. but see how it goes; And good job for not trying to get out of water changes. :)

Reactions: Kimberly Richardson

Kimberly Richardson

AC Members
Oct 11, 2016
Bremerton,Wa
Camera Used
Ipone5
I hadn't even thought about putting live plants in the column!
That's a great idea! Thanks!
I don't have much experience with live plants but this would be a good start to try.

I think I may try that the next water change!

Kimberly Richardson

AC Members
Oct 11, 2016
Bremerton,Wa
Camera Used
Ipone5
What are some good starter plant varieties ?

In a tank I recently gave away, I tried a certain floating fern and later found it wasn't truly aquatic it was semi aquatic and was only suppose to last a few months and I ended up with snails...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Anubias, Java Fern and Bolbitis are all good as beginer plants, and dont need to be buried.

Kimberly Richardson

AC Members
Oct 11, 2016
Bremerton,Wa
Camera Used
Ipone5
I was given two from a friend she doesn't know what type but she said they are a good starter plant for beginners. I would love to do more research. Do you have a guess as to what these might be?

plant1.jpg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I am not too sure about the first 2 plants, but they do look to be lower requirements.

As for wisteria, it always took off for me, so hopefully you have similar luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store