1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Indian Mudskippers - Full Tank Video

Discussion in 'Brackish' started by shaynablizard, Jun 25, 2011.

1. shaynablizard

shaynablizard AC Members

Shayna
    I've had some requests for a full tank vid of my mudskipper tank and I've finally gotten around to doing one. It's changed a little over the past few months, but not too much. Anyway, here's the video of my favorite brackish critters :)

[video=youtube;X6XU3HDpuSk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6XU3HDpuSk[/video]

2. jackiomy

jackiomy Lover of Oddballs

Jacki Wilson
    Very nice!

3. Rbishop

Rbishop ...and over the edge.
    Staff Member

Mr. Normal
    Nice set up!

4. fshfanatic

fshfanatic AC Members

Mike
    That is sick.

5. Shalmainia

Shalmainia AC Members

Tobias
    Nice one indeed! How do your Indian's do with your gravel substrate? I've noticed my Africans push mine down their slope so it's just the sand left over. Also, do yours have a weird habit of flopping up into the corners of the tank to sleep? I thought it was so bloody weird when mine first did that.

6. shaynablizard

shaynablizard AC Members

Shayna
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

I only have gravel on the "water end" of the tank, and it's just thick enough to cover the bottom of the tank, and they don't mess with the gravel at all. The "bank end" of the tank is a sand and refugium mud mix. it does gradually slide down, but if you notice, in the middle of the tank, I have rocks lined up which keep most of the sand mix from crossing over onto the gravel side of the tank. Every month or so I just scoop the sand back up onto the bank, but it isn't too much to maintain.
    They are funny, quirky little things, but I don't have them hop up into the corners. Mine sleep all over the place. One likes to go under the water at night where it's shallow, a couple do sleep stuck up on the front of the glass, a couple will go down in the holes created by PVC pipe, and the majority of them sleep up on the bank. They're the most fun in the middle of the day when they're most active. They like to jump around from rock to rock or wood, and communicate with their fin movemetns. I have a couple other videos on youtube of them communicating and eating. They're funny when they beg for food too. They come and smash their noses up against the glass. They might not be the most colorful, but they're definitely the fish with most personality!

7. Shalmainia

Shalmainia AC Members

Tobias
    Yeah I love the food begging, it's adorable. One of mine dances from side to side while pushing the thermometer around with it's nose so it taps on the glass. The other one jumps from the tallest bit of wood into the water and darts from one side of the tank to the other.

Smart little oddballs that's for sure!

8. TabisFish

TabisFish AC Members

Tabi Underwood
    Where'd you get your mudskippers from? I'm looking to have a trio in a 20long

9. shaynablizard

shaynablizard AC Members

Shayna
    Mine came from Live Fish Direct and all of them were healthy, including the couple extras they sent. Franks Aquarium is another common online supplier. I would probably get 4 for a 20 long, just because they tend to pick at each other a little bit, especially if one is smaller, so 4 would distribute that better. I have no serious aggression issues, but if I had 3, I think I could. The amount of space and how many I have keeps them all happy. I also have plenty of hiding and perching places. They are a lot of fun. You'd really enjoy them!

10. Shalmainia

Shalmainia AC Members

Tobias
    The aggression also varies fish to fish, for instance I have two in this 12 gallon, but I've created enough areas for them both to pirch without being able to see each other, so they're quite happy.

If you're going to go for Mudskippers, I do recommend the Indians, they're much less aggressive than the African Muds.