Is my haustrum being a wierdo?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
I got a pretty big haustrum a week or so ago in a trade (locally). I was then told here that they eat plants like crazy, making me think that I couldn't put him in my 55g planted tank.

He's been in my 10g QT since I got him which is full of plant rejects... java moss, ferns, ludwigia stems. He hasn't touched a single one of them. I've been giving him lettuce and algae wafers which he eats voraciously. What's the deal???

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
mine likes to eat water sprite. i tried some other things but he didn't touch them

Morledzep

AC Members
Aug 19, 2008
haustrum snails only eat dead and decaying plant materials.. and steal a shrimp from the big fish now and then.

they are ideal for planted tanks because they keep all the dead stuff trimmed off and keep the plants looking their best.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
The strange thing is msjinkzd's experience was the opposite. Her haustrum obliterated all her prized plants where the haustrum was placed and this is the exact reason USDA still bans the haustrums from interstate shipping. I guess this comes down to personal preferences of individual snails although the canaliculata complex are no different and will eat everything in sight.

Lauren, you did hope you want the haustrum in a planted tank and you got exactly what you wished for.:laugh:

Last edited:

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
Yeah... I'm pretty excited :)

Morledzep

AC Members
Aug 19, 2008
i love the haustrum snails.. they are awesome to watch, and there is never a speck of algae in their tank.

i used to have them in all of my tanks, but peacock bass and haustrum snails don't mix well after peacock bass get big.

Paulzie67

Registered Member
Jul 27, 2023
Does anyone still have P. haustrum? They do lay Green Eggs, correct? I have tons of P. canaliculata and M. cornuarietis but want to get some P. haustrum

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store