Is this anemone dying or splitting???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JayBby

AC Members
May 11, 2009
Okay I reallly need some major opinions here.
I've had this anemone for almost a month if that. He did have his orange "foot" in the sand and was quite happy or appeared to be. Well...when i redone my tank he just decided to wonder around and so forth, well now he has wondered so much that he just quite and ended up in a sorta small ball and I noticed some white thread like "stuff" coming out of one of his sides and i assumed he must have got caught on a rock or something..well within 2 days it is getting worse and i do not know if he is dying, or if he is trying to split. picture is below.
My tank is 55 gallon
good water flow, water check is appearing accurate and stable..lighting is perfect and other corals are great.

Its not a great picture considering taken by my phone, but this is just one of the sides it is ripping on..its ripping on the other side almost in the same location...

reefbumgm333

Reef Bum
Apr 19, 2009
Tulsa OK
I have only had bubbletip anemones in the past and when mine split they did not close up to do it. So I would have to say this guy looks like he might not make it. Hopefully someone else who have kept this type of anemone can help further.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
sorry i cant view it =\... stupid work pc...

Normally when I see splits they go into hiding but if you see them they literally split down the mouth and pull apart by there foot.

From the sounds of it ...not so good sounding... till I can view it though I can't comment on conditions accurately.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The anemone looks to be in terrible condition. I can't tell exactly what that is in the left hand portion of the anemone, but it looks like the gut lining being extruded, which is universally fatal. I am afraid it is well on its way.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Might want to add some carbon to your tank in the very near future. Unless I am getting bad info, nems can throw off some nasty toxins when the pass away. Sorry for your loss. Hopefully it won't mess other things up as well.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
Might want to add some carbon to your tank in the very near future. Unless I am getting bad info, nems can throw off some nasty toxins when the pass away. Sorry for your loss. Hopefully it won't mess other things up as well.
I dont know about toxins as in poisons...but I do know they break down real fast... and stink to god awful hell.

You should remove it now if its expelling its guts... otherwise you will have a gelatin goo rapidly decomposing in the tank... ammonia spike unless you have a very large system that can handle that load.

No fun...

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Maybe that is what I was thinking of Toejam. Still trying to cram a bunch of info into my sometimes distracted brain.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
Maybe that is what I was thinking of Toejam. Still trying to cram a bunch of info into my sometimes distracted brain.
I dont think you were wrong..just never heard of toxins being a worry...toxins aka poisons from the Anemone itself...but toxins from decay. I don't know about the poison type toxins like Box Fish ...(Chicken nugget fish to me..).

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I dont think you were wrong..just never heard of toxins being a worry...toxins aka poisons from the Anemone itself...but toxins from decay. I don't know about the poison type toxins like Box Fish ...(Chicken nugget fish to me..).
There are definite issues, but most stem from bacteria and their toxins. It makes it worse if the anemone expels any gut contents--i.e. has a meal before it dies. Ammonia is less of an immediate worry than the bacteria. That is how some anemone spawns cause fish kills from regurgitated gut contents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store