Isolating pregnant african chiclid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MassBro

Registered Member
Feb 12, 2016
I have a african chiclid that has her mouth full of eggs should I put her in breader box nursery?

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Moving her may cause her to spit or eat the eggs. Wait at least 12 days after you spawning before attempting to move her. The eggs will be fine.

After 12 days, if she does spit the eggs, they will have developed enough that you can raise the fry in a breeder box.

MassBro

Registered Member
Feb 12, 2016
Thanks for the info she's had one batch of fry I didn't realize that she had eggs knew she was not eating and getting skinny loss a lot of them they were eaten by the other fish in tank . I just want to save the whole brood .

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
I definitely would not move her now. I would do wwhat Narwhal72 said and wait

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What kind of African do you have? If they are mix hybrids I would not even try to save them. You would have no place for them, and cannot trade them.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I move my females the evening after I notice them holding eggs. Three days after fertilization I remove the eggs and raise them in a flask that is kept at the same temp as the tanks. All I do is add some methylene blue and an air stone. I check the eggs and change the water every day, if I notice a decaying/not developing egg I remove it and change the water again. I typically have a 75-90% (in one case 100%) survival rate of the removed eggs. So, eggs can be raised successfully with no expensive equipment from at least 3 days after fertilization (some University studies do day of fertilization).

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
I have 3 Rusty cichlids holding right now, I've got them in a 10 gallon waiting for them to spit. One of the females has been holding for 23 days , the others im not sure as i didn't notice they were holding till I went to catch the one I knew was holding already

so kinda in the same boat waiting for Mbuna fry !

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Mainganos are beautiful, but Super Mean. Good Luck. :)

Reactions: myswtsins
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store