Jay's Planted 180g Tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
It has been a while.....

Good news is I cleaned the glass yesterday and took some pics.

Here's a pic of one of the Acara

B. pixy

B. blue devil

B. brownie red

These are the two small form Buces that may end up in my Pico.
B. mini fake catherine

B. mini black catherine

Nursing these Buces back to health from bare stems for a fellow club member it has been slow and steady.

Left Side

Middle (you can see the gap in the background where the Cyperus isn't cooperating, that plant was huge if you go back to earlier pics.)

Right side (I'm excited my kompact sword is going to have plantlets hasn't done that in over two years I've had it.)

Not to be stingy like those other guys here's the FTS...

Bad news is I was messing with the tank again today moved some stuff around....LOL

Reactions: Finesse

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I was thinking of adding some Cyperus to one of my tanks. What happened to yours?
I moved it to the far back left but I imagine it was too shaded by the other plants in that corner. It never took off over there so I moved it back to where it was originally but it doesn't seem to like being uprooted and moved too much because it takes a long time to re-establish itself in my tank.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
As usual, your tank looks amazing! I'm sure the cyperus will come back for you, it loves your tank. Buccies look awesome! It's nice of you to rescue someone else's, I'm sure they recover with your TLC...(is that some bba on them? Not your's, the rescues? Eeek, hope not). Go JAY!

Tell me again, what is your acara? So pretty!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
As usual, your tank looks amazing! I'm sure the cyperus will come back for you, it loves your tank. Buccies look awesome! It's nice of you to rescue someone else's, I'm sure they recover with your TLC...(is that some bba on them? Not your's, the rescues? Eeek, hope not). Go JAY!

Tell me again, what is your acara? So pretty!
Thank you. It's taken a while for the Buces to settle in, the best rate of success have been with ones that already have established roots and already transition to submersed growth. The smaller the plant the less luck I've had getting it to survive. I've had BBA issues trying to dose CSM+B it seems and hair algae has recently started covering the fissden but either are just spotted. I make progress hitting with excel and peroxide and get lazy never really wiping it out.

They are Electric Blue Acara which look similar to Electric Blue Rams but will get much larger. It's said they are planted aquarium safe but as this is the first time I'm keeping them time will tell. Having 6 may be to many for 180g because they are said to get aggressive around breeding but I'll cross that bridge when it happens. I got them as fry but they are the size of adult rams now at about 2-2.5 inches. They are pricey if purchased as juveniles $25-$40 ea in LFS so growing them out myself was the way to go.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Geez, if they are like our old "blue acaras" (aequidens pulcher... back in the day, 25-30 yrs ago) but yours are so different + so pretty! If they are anything like them, they were diggers + very regular breeders (every 30-ish days)....for your tanks sake I hope they're not the same...time will tell... Keep up your good work, JAY!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store