1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
    Dismiss Notice

julii cory full of eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by allaboutfish, Aug 8, 2011.

1. allaboutfish

allaboutfish AC Members

johnathon dunn
    ok so today i noticed i left my heater off for almost a week!!! i thought i had plugged it in last water change but it only half way plugged in. now my female is full of eggs. i think i have a 2 male to 1 female ratio :( im hoping to see my peppered corys full of eggs soon!! i plan on raising the eggs just for the heck of it. any advice?

2. allaboutfish

allaboutfish AC Members

johnathon dunn
    how long will it be till shes laying them? theyre doing the T and the female is you know what they do.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike Large Member

Huge Mike
    If they are doing the T then she should lay them right after. My corydoras paleatus lay their eggs as soon as they are done with the T.

4. stephcps

stephcps AC Members

Agree with big mike. Wait as long as u can to remove the eggs. They harden over time and are easier to remove then.

5. slipgate

slipgate AC Members

We had great luck with our first batch of peppered cories. We waited no more than a few minutes after she laid them and started scraping the eggs off the glass with a razor blade and letting them drop into a plastic cup. On some of the plants where a lot of the plant was covered with eggs we moved the whole plant to the nursery tank. All in all we probably had close to 60 eggs. They hatch within 2 days and all of the fry accept maybe 2 or 3 survived in the 10 gallon nursery tank. We use a small HOB filter with a fluval intake sponge. It needs to be changed every couple of days if you are using the hibari (sp) first bites like we did.

Ours are now around 6 months old and all of our tanks have between 5 and 10 cories. Plus we still have close to 30 in the nursery tank! I just gave away 3 more last night.

BTW: Our Angels follow around the cories now and when she lays, they immediately eat the eggs.

6. allaboutfish

allaboutfish AC Members

johnathon dunn
    well i dont see any eggs but the were doing the T :( can you keep different fry together? like corys and killifish?

7. stephcps

stephcps AC Members

Unless you have been continuaaly watching the tank, they could have laid and then ate them. Look around on the glass for signs that something was there.

As far as the fry...as long as they have the same water and temp parameter needs and are of similar size, then you should be able to keep them together.

8. allaboutfish

allaboutfish AC Members

johnathon dunn
    still no eggs :( i really wanted to breed them. is a 10 gallon too small to keep 3 julii corys in? theyd be takin out after they breed. how often do they breed?

9. jm1212

jm1212 Pterophyllum scalare

Jon
    give them some more time. feed live/frozen foods to help condition them. also, at your next water change, try adding water that is cooler than the water in your tank.

10. allaboutfish

allaboutfish AC Members

johnathon dunn
    do the females usually act lazy and lathargic when full of eggs?