land hermit crabs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
finally found sand! in my backyard! forgot it was there cause of all the snow ill get it out, boil it up and pur er in! then wait a day then go get me hermit crabs :)

Susan0218

AC Members
Jun 8, 2005
That works! Remember to have it at least 3 times as deep as your hermit crabs are tall.

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
can do! and i dont remember if i asked or not and im to lazy to look back but can i put plants in? i found a cool plant at the supermarket i wanna put in. i dont know the name know

Susan0218

AC Members
Jun 8, 2005
I agree with David, the hermit crabs will more than likely eat or tear up any live plants you put in. I know there are some "crabbers" who put some in anyway. Just be sure they are safe for the hermit crabs. I use plastic plants in my crabitat.

Susan0218

AC Members
Jun 8, 2005
Some people grow plants outside of the crabitat to have on hand to replace the ones the crabs destroy. If you like it, go for it. Just be sure they are safe for the crabs in case they happen to munch on them. No pestcides and check out the safe and unsafe lists over on the hermitcrabassociation.com (They are in the food and water section).

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
well how about an update? i got sand and food and (drums start rollin) GOT THE HERMITS! ill post pics tomorow my cams all messed and says it cant find it on the computer :swear: there names are humphrey, mr. crabs, patrick and el tigre

sinner41265

AC Members
Jun 20, 2008
North Carolina
Real Name
Barry
Another good thing to get for your crabitat is a thermometer and hygrometer. You can buy these in a set. They have them in most reptile sections. The one I'm using I got from Petco. http://www.petco.com/product/8193/PETCO-Thermometer-Humidity-Gauge-Combo-Pak.aspx

This will let you know if your crabitat design is "there" yet for their comfort. Play around with things until you get the temps around 80F and the humidity in the 70-80 range.

Good luck with them !!

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
i wont have a problem with temp as my heater(baseboard) is always on and stays at 80 most of the time. i think ive got a humidty measurer some where though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store