Largemouth Bass...can?t unhook!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rob0829

AC Members
Sep 6, 2006
I was told he was a Rock Bass, and from my own research that is what I found. One of the tell-tail signs I guess is the eyes, they are Fire Red with a black line going from top to bottom.

Also to the thread starter. If you are knowledgeable with fish keeping, you can provide a life that is safe and happy for your bass. Keep in mind he is wild, so I suggest feeding live fish/ frozen (krill w/e) and try dry.

Here is another picture.
yup thats a rock bass. I catch them all the time in the great lakes area. From what I heard it is the easiest to keep in captivity of all the bass species because it is not a true bass. Its more of a panfish. They don't get as big as smallmouth or largemouth either.

unbeatablec

Lives in Michigan
yup thats a rock bass. I catch them all the time in the great lakes area. From what I heard it is the easiest to keep in captivity of all the bass species because it is not a true bass. Its more of a panfish. They don't get as big as smallmouth or largemouth either.
Im from michigan, and there not in the great lakes, only inland lakes.

rob0829

AC Members
Sep 6, 2006
Im from michigan, and there not in the great lakes, only inland lakes.
I'm from windsor....I said in the great lakes area..... I catch them in the detroit river all the time....not a great lake, but not an inland lake either.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
i think its illegal to take home your catch in AZ... but its only illegal if you get caught right???

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
I used to catch a lot of rock bass in the area of Henderson Harbor (lake ontario, where I grew up). Not in the lake but in the rivers that fed the lake. They seem to be more of a river fish. We never kept rock bass though, as I recall they were never that big and boney.

I'd love to setup a native species tank... I was thinking maybe pumpkinseed and/or yellow perch. Maybe when I get a new house I'll have room for another big tank.

robadk1

Fish out of Water
Jun 24, 2007
Georgia, USA
You know, it's kinda funny that all in the same thread, you have the oppinions, that "yes, keep the fish alive, please" as well as ' Eat it!"(I'm on both sides as well)
Don't get offended loachrcool, but did you know Clown loach are common cuisine in Japan? We would never think of it. Weird huh?

brett_93_ex

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
Currently feels like a furnace
I have done it once in the past but the way I did it is a QT with shad saver (used in live wells to keep fish from stressing) in there and lots of ariation until it gets used to you and the rectangular environment. Slowly change water out until most of the shad saver is gone. Then you could introduce it to the main tank.

I kept mine for a year but always fed it live minnows, worms and grasshoppers and crickets to keep it on more natural foods.

When it got too big I tagged it and released it in a friends pond. Re caught it a year later.

mademperor

Go Go Rock Bass!
Jul 5, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I used to catch a lot of rock bass in the area of Henderson Harbor (lake ontario, where I grew up). Not in the lake but in the rivers that fed the lake. They seem to be more of a river fish. We never kept rock bass though, as I recall they were never that big and boney.

I'd love to setup a native species tank... I was thinking maybe pumpkinseed and/or yellow perch. Maybe when I get a new house I'll have room for another big tank.
Good Luck with Yellow Perch. I've tried to keep them, but after awhile they always die. From my online research they are just not well suited for aquarium life.

robadk1

Fish out of Water
Jun 24, 2007
Georgia, USA
Bret 93, How'd u go about tag'n it? I'm just curious because I have a buddy with a Lrg Mouth Bass pond.
BTW, That looks nothing like any Largmouth I've ever caught. I live in Georgia though. maybe it's just a difference in area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store