Largemouth Bass...can?t unhook!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swinneyw

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
the bass is a game fish i believe ins unlawful to relocate a game fish i know it is in texas

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
That is absolutely a smallmouth bass. I have 2 rock bass and they are not nearly as long and skinny and the mouth is much much smaller.
Yep, that's a Smallmouth. I've kept both them and Rock Bass in the same setup before. They're a little harder to keep than Largemouths because they like cooler, more oxygenated water.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
I agree
Leave it alone...the hook will eventually rot itself out of fish or it will be digested

and as stated previously...trying to remove it will only cause more harm to the poor guy

that's why people that don't know how to fish shouldn't even put their line in the water at all

taking a nap on the dock, waking up 3 hours later to find you hooked a largemouth bass lol

sad very sad

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Two year old thread, sillies :) I am sure the hook either came out by now or the fish died.

Kristina

LMBDave

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
I may be wrong but I am almost 100% positive that your fish is a smallmouth bass.

x2 definitely a smallmouth bass...sorry dude...ull get the largie uve been dreamin of one of these days and then ull be like :cool-1:

GreenTerr0

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
looks like a largie to me, i tournament fish for bass all the time... i know the thread is old but good luck waiting for the hook to rust out, 90% of hooks now are not gonna break down with the stomach acid.

eddiebait

AC Members
Jan 10, 2010
A few years ago a study was done on one of our area lakes concerning deeply hooked fish that were released with the hook imbeded. Musky was the specie, 36 to 48 inches. A very large size hook--9/0. I'm not sure how many, maybe 35 or 40 were caught on live bait, deeply hooked, the line was cut,a radio transmitter was implanted, and the fish were tracked. The fish were caught in November, by the middle of the following summer all the fish had died. The ones that were recovered seemed to have sufffered a cruel death without being able to feed. I used to believe that cutting the line was best but this study has certainly changed my mind. This study is limited to one specie and one kind of hook, perhaps panfish on a light wire might have a getter chance of survival, I don't think I would survive with a hook down my gullet. Perhaps hook manufacturers have to come up with a rapidly disolving hook. Circle hooks are a good alternative that I have not tried. I've been told that they are not as effective on fish with teeth, they need to slide into the corner of the mouth. I prefer a very fast hookset.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
1. That is actually a smallmouth
2. Leave the hook in, in a week or so it will rust and the fish will pass it through

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store