Largemouth Bass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xpmr5

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
It was in the tank only for about a half an hour. I don't think that's a big deal, and I already released it so I really can't do anything about it.

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
No experience with bass but sunfish are awesome and stay a manageable size. they are pretty much cold water cichlids in term of temperment, care, and evolution

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
its not illegal to go fishing, there is nothing that says you can't keep the fish you catch alive. I'm know there is a law about releasing animals into the wild but not ones from the same area.

xpmr5

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
Check out NANFA. Some states wont allow you to keep wild caught fish in the aquariam. http://www.nanfa.org/
Yea, but there's a good bet bet no one from DNR is going to come in my backyard and ask if I have caught any fish in my 30 foot wide creek in Illinois, let alone ask to see my aquarium! The chances are slim to none, and I'm willing to take the chance over buying $8 cichlids when bluegills, in my opinion, are much cooler and they're free!

hatcheridiot

Call me crazy...Crazy
Apr 19, 2007
Washington State
I completely agree xpmr5. Going out and catching your fish is sooo rewarding and cheap too. Most people can better take care of local fish as well. It's easier to determine what to feed them (and food is readily available) and they're temp/water requirements are generally easier to replicate. However, I agree with some above when they warn about disease transmission. You simply cannot let another one return to the stream.

On a side note....try going out and catching a fry or two out of the shallows. Its the perfect time of year and you can watch em grow up from babies! It's a blast.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I completely agree xpmr5. Going out and catching your fish is sooo rewarding and cheap too. Most people can better take care of local fish as well. It's easier to determine what to feed them (and food is readily available) and they're temp/water requirements are generally easier to replicate. However, I agree with some above when they warn about disease transmission. You simply cannot let another one return to the stream.

On a side note....try going out and catching a fry or two out of the shallows. Its the perfect time of year and you can watch em grow up from babies! It's a blast.
'

make sure you check the state regulations regarding this..keep in mind that gamefish may fall under the rule of the state fish and wildlife or other branch of law enforcement.

DNR (dept of natural resources) may not be the governing body for a 'game fish'

some places bass are not considered game fish and fall under even more different rules.
check your regulations..as the penalites for violating these rules can be extremely costly..

In washington any and all property associated with the violations are subject to 'evidence' rules..meaning that it could be taken as evidence.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Sorry for the partial flame, but are you guys SERIOUS!?!?!

If you don't see the harm in releasing fish from an aquarium or into a foreign body of water to that fish there really isn't anything I can say. I know I could try... :(

Just please don't release caught fish, just euthanize it in the future (they're good eats anyways!) or better yet know what you are doing and what the species requirements are before ketching them - It's only ethical as hobbiest.

I'll let you deal with the law on your own. I hope you don't get caught TBH, but if you release them I sure would.

Released species make up a huge portion of my budget, and I'm loosing...And no, not all species are foriegn or exotic that are my list (feral cats are #3, cultivated plants #4, released birds #5, Wild dogs #9, hybridized Turkeys, etc.)

FYI - 50% of the Endangered Species in the United States are a result of INTRODUCED (innocently released) species!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store