LED light problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Borrego

AC Members
Jun 30, 2023
Set up a 20 gallon hex tank today rhat has 2 blue/white 6.5 watt LEDs in the hood. About an hour after setting it up, a power surge went through the wall electrical outlet it was plugged into while the white light was on. Lights will no longer turn on. Wondering if the power supply or on/off switch has been fried and needs replacement.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Of note, this is a Top Fin product, sold commonly at Petsmart.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I think that LEDs are not happy w/ power surges. Try taking them back to Petsmart if you have the receipt or other record of the purchase and say they just quit? You may want to consider a surge protected power strip in the future for your tank stuff.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Did you try just unplugging, a slight wait & replugging? I had that work with new LEDs (not yours) when I tried a different setting I didn't like... It went back to factory settings, 👍 ...& that may be my entire experience with LEDs.

Petsmart used be good with product replacements, it won't hurt to ask...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Probably cooked the driver for those banks of LEDs.

The LEDs themselves are good these days. It's everything that makes them light up is junk.

Annetti

AC Members
Jan 15, 2024
It's likely that the power surge damaged the LEDs, power supply, or on/off switch. Contact Top Fin's customer support or consider consulting an electrician. They can guide you on potential replacements or repairs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store