1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
    Dismiss Notice

LFS has big show tank with Frontosa and Midas with Africans, anyone try this before?

Discussion in 'African Rift Lake Cichlids' started by Humblepie, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Humblepie

Humblepie AC Members

Local Fish shop here as a big 200+ gal show tank with tons of Malawi cichlids in there. Like 70 or more. Also a few Cyphotalipa Frontosa and even a Midas in there. to round it out there is some full grown plecos and clown loaches. They are freaking HUGE!!!! Shop owner says that's his show tank and doesn't sell from it and has had those fish for a long time. I can believe it. The midas and frontosa are at least 14" long with the rest being around 7" on average. I would like to do something similar with my new tank setup I'm doing. I don't have a 200+ gal, just a 60 gal. I was told if I was going to add a Frontosa or Midas I need to overstock the africans to control their aggression. Which means I won't be doing this as a breeding tank. It is just pure show.

Anyone else have any experience with this and can back up doing this? My GF really likes the bubble headed fish look for some reason so I want to get either the Frontosa, or midas, or a kamfu for the tank.

2. livebearerfreak

livebearerfreak you are hypnotized! LOL

douglas harvey
    what is the demintion of the tank? is it a 55 but taller ( 4 foot by 12 wide by ? high )? if so, i would do malawis or peacocks :)

3. Humblepie

Humblepie AC Members

#3 Humblepie, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  4. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Josh
    Absolutely no way should Frontosa be kept in a tank with those dimensions long term. Nor would I recommend that mix...

5. yss

yss AC Members

Yun
    Yup! Too small for fronts or Midas. You need a six foot tank for large fish like that.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

6. Pittbull

Pittbull ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS

Mike
    Yep at least a 125gal for those type of fish, if she likes the hump head type of fish there are some nice Geophagus species that look nice.. Buffalo heads are cool..

7. snoopy65

snoopy65 I am Sam aka Snoopy65

Fronts,, no way...........I have a standard 125 with 1 m 4 f Mpimbwe fronts ONLY in it and have been debating with myself for 2 years whether or not I had ROOM for a few brichardi.

8. efors

efors AC Members

I agree with everybody here. NO Fronts or Midas, but you can do a nice Malawi mbuna or all male peacock tank.